Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Anyone deal with a blocked tear duct in a baby before?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM
  • 22 Replies
I have a 3 month old and his one eye started out being watery, it has light light green goo that comes out every so often. I know it's not pink eye because his eye is clear. I called the dr and they said babies around that age often get blocked tear ducts and to apply warm compress and massage duct. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and I shouldn't be worried.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Yes, my nephew had it really bad. They told my sister that if it didn't clear up by itself they would fix it, but not any earlier than 1 year old. I think it went away completely around 10 months maybe, I just remember looking at him and thinking, hey I haven't had to clean his eye in awhile lol

daughteroftruth
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:13 PM

yeah, all my kids had a blocked duct.  just do as was said, warm compress and massage.  it will eventually work itself out. 

Scottiesmom1114
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Thank you, atleast I know it's normal and put my mind at ease.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pcsainco
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Yes, very common. My first had one that we massaged all the time, but it never cleared up on its own. I think she was 2ish when we had it probed to open it up...never had a problem since.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squeakers2
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:14 PM
My almost 4 month old son has one. I didn't know until it got infected after getting a cold, which is completely normal. I took him in when it happened bc I thought he had pink eye. His eye was red, swollen, gunking. They gave me some antibiotics it put in his eye and told me to rub under his eye and right between the corner of the eye and the nose with a damp cotton ball. Some babies are born with them and they usually clear up on their own by the time they are 1 yr.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitschy
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Message and breast milk. Will be gone in a couple days. :)

chicklopez
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I wouldnt be worried. Both my boys had that. Idk when my 1DS got rid of his but my newbie's just finished getting goop out. It would happen randomly, we'd find globs on the corners of his eye. When he was a few days old it was very bad, his eye would crust shut. Our dr just told us to push on the inside of his eye, between the eye and the nose, gently every so often. It's something that has to work out on its own. I dont remember what color is bad though so plz call your dr.

It's just something that happens and they have to grow out of it. There really isnt any fixing it this young, when they get older the dr can basically snake it out like a clogged pipe. Im glad my LOs grew out of it, I wouldnt want them to have to go through it.

MrsRinehart2010
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM
yes both of my girls have had it .. Its more common then people think usually it goes away on its on but when it doesnt they just go in and do a simple an easy procedure to open it. OH an it usually goes away by 6 months ...
periwinkle163
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM

It happened with my son, he ended up having tubes put in, but it was fine, a little scary but they were wonderful with the procedure.

annhart19
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Yup my son had it. In both eyes from birth. On cleared up around 3 months and the other didn't til he was about 6 months. We had talked about him having surgery to open them up. But then one day they just magically cleared up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)