Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Which ONLINE UNIVERSITY ...

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM
  • 17 Replies

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to get some feedback about Online Universities. Which one do you attend? Do you like it? 

Right now, I am looking at Grand Canyon University in Arizona and Kaplan University. I would like to study Criminal Justice... just a little nervous would like any feedback i can get.

Thank you

Jani

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Due9
by your-bff on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't attend an online university. But I would suggest doing online classes from your nearest university. I don't like the idea of Kaplan or University of Phoenix.

jani1231
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I agree, but in the state they dont offer one thats fully online. But i will look at the closest state that's Massachusetts. Thank You!

Quoting Due9:

I didn't attend an online university. But I would suggest doing online classes from your nearest university. I don't like the idea of Kaplan or University of Phoenix.

Amy_M
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I agree with the pp, go to your local college and do online classes through them.  I am currently doing online classes through the local community college, the classes were about 25% LESS than online schools.  Also think about it, if no "real" college offers the classes online, than how are these schools doing it?  I think criminal justice would require some in class time to complete.  Just my opinion

MsRkg
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this
You can also look at any accredited university and if they have an online division that might be an option as well. For example one of my younger cousins is attending Penn State University from California. She is in their world campus division which allows you to obtain a degree from them online. When she graduates you won't be able to tell a difference in her degree from someone who graduated on campus to her degree. I think a full time semester schedule is 7k (may vary by degree program) with associated fees.

Look for schools like that all over the country. =]

Quoting jani1231:

I agree, but in the state they dont offer one thats fully online. But i will look at the closest state that's Massachusetts. Thank You!

Quoting Due9:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by Carin on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I attended CTU Online. It was ok.

cLanief
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Try wgu.. Washington governors university to see if they have that program. Its fully accredited and not a bs certificate mill and reasonably priced.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MomOfTwins...
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Stick with a large university, local would be better, that offer online programs. Stay away from "for-profit" colleges. I wasted a lot of money and time "attending" the University of Phoenix online. I was 1 class away from getting their associates degree in accounting and realized that I hadn't learned anything....yet I had a 4.0 gpa. I dropped out and started attending my state university, NONE of the credits transferred. I had to start over from scratch. I will be done in May with my bachelors, however, I would have graduated 2 yrs ago had I not wasted my time!!

Good luck!

specialwingz
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Many/most companies do not accept degrees from online universities.  I had a coworker that got a degree in accouting through Phoenix Online Univ.  The company we worked for did not accept the degree.

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, go to a real university and take online classes through them.  As a business owner, I treat an online degree from those schools as having no degree.  

jani1231
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the advice. I will go to a local university and see what other options i have. And Congrats to you for sticking to school despite all that. 

Quoting MomOfTwins...:

Stick with a large university, local would be better, that offer online programs. Stay away from "for-profit" colleges. I wasted a lot of money and time "attending" the University of Phoenix online. I was 1 class away from getting their associates degree in accounting and realized that I hadn't learned anything....yet I had a 4.0 gpa. I dropped out and started attending my state university, NONE of the credits transferred. I had to start over from scratch. I will be done in May with my bachelors, however, I would have graduated 2 yrs ago had I not wasted my time!!

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)