Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Online Public School?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM
  • 4 Replies

Anyone done this? My oldest is almost 7. He has brain danmage from seizures as a baby and high functioning autism (but at his last evaluation he is actully no longer on the spectrum). He is struggling in school and having a hard time keeping up. He is on an IEP and did pretty well in kindergarten. He was doing ok at the being of the year, but now that the class is really picking up he is getting lost. He has a hard time retaining information. For example he still doesn't know all of his alphebet off the top of his head and has to look at the alphebet board when wrighting a sentence. He is starting to read, but when he has to sound out a word he doesn't understand what the word is because his brain was too busy making the sounds. He has an aid in class who is awesome and I trust her completely. She mentioned today that maybe we try modifying his work load because, while he is really smart, he just can't keep up the pace and shuts down. She suggested that maybe we start looking into possibly homeschooling in another year so he can go completely at his own pace. I have no issue with homeschooling, but I'm no teacher either. I was looking online and our school district offers online public schooling. It allows the kid to go at their own pace, they structure a personalized ciriculum for each individual childs needs,actual teachers from the local school district run it and grade all of the work, they provide all of the books, computer, worksheets, and project materials, and they meet with the student and parents regualrly to make sure the student is on track. Plus it's free! Which is awesome. But I'm hesitent. I have nothing aganst homeschoolers, but I'm afraid that my son will lose out by not being in school. He has friends and is very social. Although we have had issues with a couple of bullies and that is a huge concern for me too. Honestly I've never pictured myself homeschooling. I loved school.  But I don't want my son to fall behind and keep getting dragged along in a setting that doesn't fit his needs.  His aid did say that we could do homeschooling for elementary and then pick back up with regular school in middle and high school. I guess they have special inclusion classes once they hit those grade levels, but not in elementary. In elementary they only have specail needs, but he is too advanced for those classes. It's so frustrating. 

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Nobody? Really?

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:28 PM
I don't get how he could no longer be on the spectrum for autism... You don't just grow out of it.
Actually, they rewrote the book this year for guidelines so maybe... It just seems weird to me. I know I no longer have aspergers, I have "autism spectrum disorder" which is poo because it sounds so vague. BUT ANYWAY I know statistically, homeschooled children do better socially than public schooled children and are better at finding and maintaining friendships. Although with special needs, it might not be the case for your son. The program does sound like what he needs to succeed. You could always get with other moms in your area who homeschool or have children with the same problems and form a "buddy group". All the children can hang out together.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Well with my son he had a rare seizure condition as a baby that caused brain damage. They didn't know what that would present like as he got older. And when he was two he did exhibit some autist tendencies. He tested on the spectum when he was two and a half and started with early interventions. And while he did have some autistic like habits all of his therapist always said he wasn't like any typical autistic child they had ever seen. We are pretty sure it wasn't really "autism" but that was what he was diagnosed with since he did have enough of the indicators when he was young. And he still does have sensory issues (and he had other autistic typical problems - has a hard time with social cues, needs routines, ect). Now that he is older he has learned how to control his impulses. So now while he hasn't "outgrown" the autism (I too don't believe a true autistic child can be full "cured") he just can now control his habits and is no longer bad enough to be considered on the spectrum. He's now classified as "autistic-like". Whatever that is suppose to mean. It still allows him to get all of his services he still needs through the school. If that makes any sense at all. lol

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I would try it out and perhaps get him into extra after school type activities so he can still be around his peers.  I think due to his medical history it may take a lifetime to figure exactly what is going on  in his brain but they did the diagnosis so he could get the early intervention.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN