Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ugh! I hate the IRS!!!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:37 AM
  • 15 Replies

DH and I always have our taxes filed before the end of January and have our refund by first week of Feb. This year we have had all these delays because of IRS programming the system to accept certain forms.....

First we were waiting on the Education credit form since we have 2 kids in college. I got all excited because I heard that the IRS will start processing these forms tomorrow. Well when I checked our status on Tax Act I got the message that our return is still delayed because the IRS will not begin processing returns with the residential energy credit form #5695 until the first week of March!!!

This form gives us a credit of a $100 which had I known of the delay I wouldnt have claimed it. I would gladly give up the $100 to get my refund of several thousand dollars sooner!

And before people think we are milking the system...NO we do not qualify for EIC...We paid $14,000 in federal taxes not by choice but because a chunk of this is from an early withdrawl of dh's retirement to pay for our 2 kids' college tuiton and that is automatically kept out for federal taxes. We are getting back a little under half of what we paid in IF they will ever process our return! I want my money!!!

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AMBG825
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:54 AM

They announced in December to expect a delay in your refund.

stressed-mom
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:05 AM
No how u feel just got off the phone with them only 2 wait on hold 45mins 2 b told that b4 they can even check it has 2 b 21days
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Indianamomto4
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I know they announced delays and I knew about the education credit form delay but didn't know about the residential energy credit delay. One of my dc parents is an accountant and told me there are delays on over 100 forms so a lot of unhappy people.

Quoting AMBG825:

AMBG825
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I made the assumption that those of us who itemized our taxes will get our returns later than those people who didn't. They will process the easy ones first before getting to the ones they actually have to sit down and figure out.

If it makes you feel better (I know it won't help the situation) but last year we didn't get our tax refund until October. DH's ex wife claimed the boys on her taxes (she only worked for 2 months last year) and it had to go to court before they would issue either of us refunds.

Quoting Indianamomto4:

I know they announced delays and I knew about the education credit form delay but didn't know about the residential energy credit delay. One of my dc parents is an accountant and told me there are delays on over 100 forms so a lot of unhappy people.

Quoting AMBG825:

Indianamomto4
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM

See we didn't even itemize this year, we are delayed due to education credit form and residential energy form :(

Stinks that your family had to go through that last year, hope it doesn't happen to you again!

Quoting AMBG825:

I made the assumption that those of us who itemized our taxes will get our returns later than those people who didn't. They will process the easy ones first before getting to the ones they actually have to sit down and figure out.

If it makes you feel better (I know it won't help the situation) but last year we didn't get our tax refund until October. DH's ex wife claimed the boys on her taxes (she only worked for 2 months last year) and it had to go to court before they would issue either of us refunds.

Quoting Indianamomto4:

Quoting AMBG825:

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM
At least you've got to that point. I'm still waiting for Dh to get home so we can go through his logs and count the days he was gone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM

seriously - its only a few weeks.

mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Ouch.  I'm having trouble getting past the withdrawl from retirement.  Not looking forward to the college days!  Hang in there.  

butterflymommy2
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Remember when there was no direct deposit.. you just had to wait until you received your check in the mail.. And there was no way of tracking it?

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM
2 moms liked this

I do, every mail call was like scratching off that lottery ticket HA HA HA

Quoting butterflymommy2:

Remember when there was no direct deposit.. you just had to wait until you received your check in the mail.. And there was no way of tracking it?

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)