Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

different add/adhd medications?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:55 AM
  • 16 Replies

my seven year old so was diagnosed with add last year

he is taking strattera 10 mg one day and 18 mg the next. he was taking the 18 mg but he had all the bad side effects

here lately he has gotten worse. its especially bad in the mornings. he is having a treatment plan tomorrow and i plan on talking to the pyschasirts (sp is wrong I KNOW!) but i would like any non stimulant medication ideas for him

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TonyaO
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this
My Sonja's tried a variety of different ADHD through the years, he's 15 now and has been taking focalin for the past several years and it works well for him. I also have ADHD and take adderall, that works well for me I have heard good things about straterra as well. I have heard not great things about vyvanse but have only talked with a few peoe that have taken it. I've tried Ritalin in the past and did not like it for me but I have talked to people who like concerta which is a long acting version of Ritalin. Good luck :) I would make a list if what you don't like about his current meds and what times you give it as well as what are the most challenging parts if his day, that will go a long way in helping to figure out the best treatment approach.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Master_Debater
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Strattera's the only non stimulant I know of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2beautiesnb
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:14 AM
stimulant or non stimulant? im not familiar with the non stimulant, however there are many different stimulant types. you have adderall which i ended up being allergic to, focalin which im not very familiar with, then theres the ritalin that does well, but most people on it need multiple doses a day, then theres concerta. concerta works well, but its basically time release ritalin. they all have their pros and cons. like lots of medications what works well for one person, may not work as well for the next. good luck mama and God bless.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:19 AM
my son is 10 and he has adhd and odd and he has been on so many med. since the age of 5 right now he takeing texas and deptoke the meds that he was on before made him get mean and have ticks good luck with it take him in to the doctor and tell them what he doing on the meds
ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:23 AM
there is a group on here for great help with other mom with kids with adhd and odd and other things
BeachMommy07
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Have you considered TRYING gluten free I know several people with terrible side effects from those drugs.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:25 AM

i love strattera. it seems to help alot but now he is getting back to where he was.

Quoting TonyaO:

My Sonja's tried a variety of different ADHD through the years, he's 15 now and has been taking focalin for the past several years and it works well for him. I also have ADHD and take adderall, that works well for me I have heard good things about straterra as well. I have heard not great things about vyvanse but have only talked with a few peoe that have taken it. I've tried Ritalin in the past and did not like it for me but I have talked to people who like concerta which is a long acting version of Ritalin. Good luck :) I would make a list if what you don't like about his current meds and what times you give it as well as what are the most challenging parts if his day, that will go a long way in helping to figure out the best treatment approach.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:26 AM

due to budget constriants i havent done glueten free

Quoting BeachMommy07:

Have you considered TRYING gluten free I know several people with terrible side effects from those drugs.

Cognito
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Tenex is a nonstimulant sometimes used to treat ADHD.

ash522
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:27 AM

My DS is 7 & takes 4 mg Intuniv (non-stimulant) & 10 mg Strattera daily. We've had no side effects from either. We started with the lowest dosage & worked our way up to what we are now. Mornings are bad here too. I time his meds so that they are kicking in just when he's getting to school. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)