Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Time management...help!!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:14 AM
  • 3 Replies
I have 3 children, 2 yo dd, 13 yo dd and 15 yo ds. My 13 year d is very active is sports, my 2 yo wants mommys full attention at night and my 15 yo is special needs (hfa, bi polar, ADHD). I also have a wonderful supportive and helpful dh :) I work full time as a social worker in a family preservation program, working with families that are at high risk of their children being placed out of home due to abuse or neglect. I love my job and I love my family, sounds perfect right!? Here is my problem, time manager!!!!! Due to the nature of my job and high risk associated with it, I am always on call and we work a flex schedule in order to be able to meet with our families around their schedule. The flex schedule is nice because it allows me to be avaliable to my own family most of the time, I can work nights and weekends so that whenever possible I don't have to miss one of the kids activities etc.

Where I'm struggling is completing all my paperwork!! I plan to set aside time at night after the baby goes
To bed to write case notes etc but often times I'm exhausted by that time or I get distracted by doing something else so I fall further and further behind (I'm also ADHD, so distraction and time management can be major problems). It is to the point that it is causing major issues at work and stress at home. What tips do you mamas have for time management, increasing productivity and basically keeping all the balls I'm juggling in the air? I want to be as avaliable and present for my own family as possible but I also need to get this work stuff under control!!! Thanks for listening / reading my vent / plea for advice!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I would set aside a block of 1 hour to do that work. Make it for right after the baby goes to bed. Go into a quiet room and get it done. If you don't have that space at home go the library or even Starbucks. You need to get this routine down before you lose your job.

lapcounter
by Super Mom on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Dayplanner would be your friend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TonyaO
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM
I do have a daytime and I do block out time, however our evenings are often rushed and chaotic so sticking to my plan of working after the baby goes to bed is proving to be difficult to follow. I used to be productive at night but I'm noticing that is changing. So now I'm trying to get up earlier and work before the kids get up for school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN