Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Now it's said that children are safest rear-facing until 4 years old, thoughts?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM
  • 299 Replies
1 mom liked this

My older two were front-facing at 20lbs, right before 1st birthdays.  The extended rear facing wasn't really going on then.  My youngest is 15 months old and still rear faces.  I've yet decided how long she will. 

What do you think about rear facing until 4?

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:36 PM
I've never heard that. FL recommends rf until 2 so that's what we'll do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jaxsonsmama2009
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:37 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm cool with that. My 3 year old still is and isn't anywhere close to maxing out his seat and he's still comfortable. So I didn't really plan on turning him any time soon anyway
KristenFowles
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:37 PM

My friend just showed me several articles, I hadn't heard it either.

LaLaMonkey
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
We turned dd around at age 2.shw was the size of a 3 years old then so she was getting really cramped. Now she is 3 and 34lbs happily ff. I couldn't afford to get another seat just so she could rf for a couple more pounds.
TeamTARDIS
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:39 PM
I will turn DS when he hits the max for his seat rear facing.
lmjess
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM
4 moms liked this

It's actually safer to rearface at ANY AGE because rearfacing helps protect the neck and spine better in crashes. But, of course, that isn't practical in today's cars.

tinakinakins
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM
My DD is very tall so she is forward facing now. She's 2.
crazychic316
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:41 PM

My son is a little on the larger side at 2 he is 35 1/2in tall and 34lbs and we still RF and he is currently in a Britax, I want him to be able to RF as long as he possibly can if that means till 4 thats amazing, we are in the process of ordering another carseat for him that will keep him RF longer since the frame of the Britax doesnt go high enough in height for him to make it till 4 more than likely... I have friends that are carseat techs and keep me up to date on all the safety things, so I am huge on the best way to keep my kiddos safe...

krodden87
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:41 PM
2 moms liked this
My kids were to big to rear face past 1. Its like their knees were up around their shoulders. Lol
KristenFowles
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Yeah, the articles that support the now age 4 show that even adults are safer rear facing.

Quoting lmjess:

It's actually safer to rearface at ANY AGE because rearfacing helps protect the neck and spine better in crashes. But, of course, that isn't practical in today's cars.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)