Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Now it's said that children are safest rear-facing until 4 years old, thoughts?

Posted by   + Show Post

My older two were front-facing at 20lbs, right before 1st birthdays.  The extended rear facing wasn't really going on then.  My youngest is 15 months old and still rear faces.  I've yet decided how long she will. 

What do you think about rear facing until 4?

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Replies (291-299):
krodden87
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Then i'm just putting it out there that people are much more receptive if you're not so uppity and condecending.

Quoting kfrog13:

No, I don't want a cookie. I simply wanted to put it out ther for other parents that may be in a similar situation. Information and education are important.

Quoting krodden87:

Good for you. You want a cookie? lol

Quoting kfrog13:

It still would have been safer to leave them rear facing.  Even if they have to sit cross-legged or with their legs hanging over the sides.  Their necks are still very delicate and their heads are so big.  I will keep my son RF as long as he is within the seat's limits for rear facing.

Quoting krodden87:

My kids were to big to rear face past 1. Its like their knees were up around their shoulders. Lol

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:06 PM

where did you hear that? It's not safer it actualyl becomes MORE dangerous because there legs would actually get shattered if you got into a wreck because of the length, they'd be sitting in fetal position all the time if they waited that long

Jstoddard98
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd is 17 months and very tall for her age (probably 31-33 inches) and she is still rfing in a Graco Size4Me70. 

Quoting KristenFowles:

New seat.  My 15 month old is above the 100% lines, she still comfortably rear faces in a Brittax Marathon - However I may need to look at new carseats at some point.. I haven't decided if I'm going to turn her around at 2.. or if I'm going to continue to rear face.. It depends on HER really.. I realize it's much safer for her.. But if she's not comfortable anymore, gets car sick/ etc..  Lots of things to think about..  however for now, we will RF.

Quoting Lottie925:

I don't know because I have not seen the report or evidence, but I need to figure out how my son who is now 13 months and 97% for height can get more room rear facing. 

Jstoddard98
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Better to have shattered legs than a broken neck IMO. 

Quoting strawberryLVR:

where did you hear that? It's not safer it actualyl becomes MORE dangerous because there legs would actually get shattered if you got into a wreck because of the length, they'd be sitting in fetal position all the time if they waited that long

MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Source please? I like to know all sides of a debate, so I'd like to know where you would find such information.

Quoting strawberryLVR:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kassrk
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Never said they would break, would you like to sit in that position when driving for an hour or more when you are on a trip? I would think not, it would be very uncomfortable.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Well, for one, there are no documented cases of childrens legs breaking because of rear facing. 

But there are plenty of documentation of children under 5 decapitated due to Forward facing. 

Kids dont sit with their legs up in their chest. most sit with their legs comfortably crossed Indian style, or frog legged over the side of the seat. 

Quoting kassrk:

I think that it's unsafe. I also think its unsafe when a child is facing backwards and their legs are bent up in their chest because they are to tall how is that safe?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Have you ever seen a child that prefered to sit with his legs up like that? 

normally they sit criss cross, or hang their feet over the sides. 

here are some kids who are very comfortable rear facing when bigger. 

Quoting kassrk:

Never said they would break, would you like to sit in that position when driving for an hour or more when you are on a trip? I would think not, it would be very uncomfortable.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Well, for one, there are no documented cases of childrens legs breaking because of rear facing. 

But there are plenty of documentation of children under 5 decapitated due to Forward facing. 

Kids dont sit with their legs up in their chest. most sit with their legs comfortably crossed Indian style, or frog legged over the side of the seat. 

Quoting kassrk:

I think that it's unsafe. I also think its unsafe when a child is facing backwards and their legs are bent up in their chest because they are to tall how is that safe?

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I fail to see where she was uppity and condescending. 

You however were very rude with your cookie comment. 

Quoting krodden87:

Then i'm just putting it out there that people are much more receptive if you're not so uppity and condecending.

Quoting kfrog13:

No, I don't want a cookie. I simply wanted to put it out ther for other parents that may be in a similar situation. Information and education are important.

Quoting krodden87:

Good for you. You want a cookie? lol

Quoting kfrog13:

It still would have been safer to leave them rear facing.  Even if they have to sit cross-legged or with their legs hanging over the sides.  Their necks are still very delicate and their heads are so big.  I will keep my son RF as long as he is within the seat's limits for rear facing.

Quoting krodden87:

My kids were to big to rear face past 1. Its like their knees were up around their shoulders. Lol

CharlotteRose
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Very true

Quoting lmjess:

It's actually safer to rearface at ANY AGE because rearfacing helps protect the neck and spine better in crashes. But, of course, that isn't practical in today's cars.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)