Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why oh why are you sending your child sick to school.smfh

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM
  • 177 Replies
Ok so I have a friend and today her daughter wasn't feeling good at lunch( I volunteer at lunch so I saw her) I texted the mom and she tells me." Oh yeah dh told me that she was warm this morning"this mom leaves the house at 5am,works construction and can't take days off. Well she texted me that her dd has a fever of 101 and she is already taking antibiotics for a ear infection. So I told her it might be a virus and antibiotics don't work for it. So she is sending the kid to school,giving her meds at 8am to last until she picks her up at 4pm. This is the second mom whom I know sends their kid sick cause they can't miss days. I'm sorry but my child comes first,not to mention they are getting other kids sick. That is so irresponsible of them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:38 PM
5 moms liked this
Because losing your job and ability to provide a roof and food is so much better .
Its a catch 22, no good answer, and unfortunately providing for the child has to come first in that type of situation.
kaylasmom22
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Oh and I have seen the child in the morning throw up before school. The babysitter cleans her up and sends her up to school
kaylasmom22
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:40 PM
You can't get fired for taking care of your sick child. With a doctors note no employer can fire you,unless they want a lawsuit.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Because losing your job and ability to provide a roof and food is so much better .

Its a catch 22, no good answer, and unfortunately providing for the child has to come first in that type of situation.
kaylasmom22
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Those parents are lucky in a way,they haven't seen their child have a febrile convulsion. Once you see that you don't take fevers lightly
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:42 PM
8 moms liked this
Yea, actually they can. If its a fire at will state they can fire at any time, they don't even have to give a reason.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

You can't get fired for taking care of your sick child. With a doctors note no employer can fire you,unless they want a lawsuit.

Quoting shadow_lark:

bowribbonmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Yes, you can.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Quoting shadow_lark:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaylasmom22
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM
You are allow by law days off,unless you are illegal working on a farm. Many people don't read labor laws and are afraid of their employers. Before you get a job you should always explain your situations. I was out 2 weeks with dd who had pneumonia and was hospitalized for 5 days. I didn't loose my job.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Yea, actually they can. If its a fire at will state they can fire at any time, they don't even have to give a reason.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Quoting shadow_lark:

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Are you talking about fmla? That's the only law I am aware of that protects your job, and most employees don't qualify for one reason or another.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

You are allow by law days off,unless you are illegal working on a farm. Many people don't read labor laws and are afraid of their employers. Before you get a job you should always explain your situations. I was out 2 weeks with dd who had pneumonia and was hospitalized for 5 days. I didn't loose my job.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Quoting shadow_lark:

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Regardless, if an employer wants to let you go all they have to do is find a reason. It doesn't have to be related to missing work for medical reasons.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Are you talking about fmla? That's the only law I am aware of that protects your job, and most employees don't qualify for one reason or another.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Quoting shadow_lark:

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Quoting shadow_lark:

Mom2KIL
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:50 PM
I see both sides of the coin but what may be just a virus to your kid and you send them sick can make my kid terribly ill and end up in the hospital. I think it is difficult to find someone to watch a sick child or to miss work, however, if you are a good employee then missing a day or two because of a sick kid shouldn't be such a huge problem that they fire you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)