Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why oh why are you sending your child sick to school.smfh

Posted by   + Show Post
Ok so I have a friend and today her daughter wasn't feeling good at lunch( I volunteer at lunch so I saw her) I texted the mom and she tells me." Oh yeah dh told me that she was warm this morning"this mom leaves the house at 5am,works construction and can't take days off. Well she texted me that her dd has a fever of 101 and she is already taking antibiotics for a ear infection. So I told her it might be a virus and antibiotics don't work for it. So she is sending the kid to school,giving her meds at 8am to last until she picks her up at 4pm. This is the second mom whom I know sends their kid sick cause they can't miss days. I'm sorry but my child comes first,not to mention they are getting other kids sick. That is so irresponsible of them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Replies (171-177):
03amanda
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

When i worked I couldn't take care of my sucks kids and my husband travels and told if leave I will get fired because I have get my kids from daycare and when I call in because my kids got sick and kept telling I will get fired I told them my job is not important right now my sicks kids are and told them if you fire my ill get a layer and get your job, so they didn't fire me and I quit in sept 2011 and I told them I'm done with their threats and I quit.

etsmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:08 AM

So glad you are fluent in the employment laws of every state. At Will does mean that they can fire you for any reason in WA. That doesn't mean that they will, but if they are unsatisfied with your job performance, they can let you go.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

You are allow by law days off,unless you are illegal working on a farm. Many people don't read labor laws and are afraid of their employers. Before you get a job you should always explain your situations. I was out 2 weeks with dd who had pneumonia and was hospitalized for 5 days. I didn't loose my job.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Yea, actually they can. If its a fire at will state they can fire at any time, they don't even have to give a reason.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

You can't get fired for taking care of your sick child. With a doctors note no employer can fire you,unless they want a lawsuit.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Because losing your job and ability to provide a roof and food is so much better .

Its a catch 22, no good answer, and unfortunately providing for the child has to come first in that type of situation.

Speak Softly and Sweetly; Later You May Have To Eat Your Own Words
cookin_mama665
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM

A fever of 101 is a bit high, but you can't judge a person for not being able to take off from work.  What are they supposed to do when the bills come in?

iansusie
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM

The OP will be kind enough to pay her friend's bills, if she loses her job. :P

Quoting cookin_mama665:

A fever of 101 is a bit high, but you can't judge a person for not being able to take off from work.  What are they supposed to do when the bills come in?

kaylasmom22
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Lmao yes cause I'm talking about taking weeks and weeks off.* smfh*

Quoting iansusie:

Quoting cookin_mama665:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
iansusie
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:22 PM

If she says she can't afford to take off or she can't take off, there must be a reason. I am sure she would much rather be home with her sick child than out working. If her boss says she can't take off and she does her boss can fire her if they are in an at will state. Then even the ONE day, would have cost her her job and then she will have no income and you will be such a good friend that you will pay her bills for her :)

Now, if you tell me this particular friend takes days off often to go have fun, then I could see your frustration but considering the child has an ear infection and is already on antibiotics, she is not contagious to anyone and if mom has to work, well, mom has to work... sucks for the kiddo but it is what it is!

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Lmao yes cause I'm talking about taking weeks and weeks off.* smfh*

Quoting iansusie:

Quoting cookin_mama665:

emjoy5
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:18 PM

My bosses motto is 'everyone is replacable'.  They don't take any bull, they give one or 2 chances, then they fire you.  If you inconvience them in any way, esp by leaving them short staffed or having to find a replacement, they will fire you.  Even with doctors notes.  Just this past winter, 2 single moms were fired because they weren't 'dependable' because they took time off to care for their sick kids, then time off when they themselves got sick.

Finding a full time, year round job is hard here and I'm not risking losing my job.  My husand is going back to school, works full time during the summer months and works only if he gets called in over the winter.  If I lose my job, we're screwed.  Thankfully I have 2 older kids who can stay home for a day to watch our youngest if worse got to worse.  Thankfuly my kids dont get sick very often.

I work in a resturant and I go to work sick.  Go ahead and bash me, but like I said, I need my job.  I don't have a choice.  They can't fire me if they send me home, but they can certainly fire me if I call in sick.

Some of us have to make tough decisions about our family and jobs.  Yes it sucks that we have to put our jobs before our family sometimes, but that job is what is keeping a roof over our heads and food in our bellies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN