Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

2 seizures in 2 days...

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:25 PM
  • 38 Replies
I'm emotionally exhausted! Karleigh gave us our first scare when she was 15 months old. That was when we first experienced a febrile seizure. She is now 2 (27 months to be exact.)

On the 12th, I woke up to what I thought was Karleigh choking. I grabbed her out of her crib so fast and started patting her back and screaming her name. Once again, just like when she was 15 months old, I thought I was losing my baby. I tried to wake my 5 year old up so she could call my husband but she was too confused. I dialed my husband's number in between pats on Karleigh's back, trembling like crazy with Karleigh jerking in my arms. He answers after 2 rings and I yell into the phone, "baby, Karleigh's choking!" I then hear the engine roar and he calls over the radio to send EMS to our house. I'm screaming at him asking him what do I do?! Nothing was coming up and my baby was still "choking". Her whole body blue. 2-3 minutes later my husband tells me to come downstairs. His partner was here and had the oxygen mask ready. My husband arrived about 30 seconds later. Then it hit me... She was not choking. She was having a seizure. A few other officers arrived to check on us before we were taken to the hospital. As all of this is going on, Leilah, my 5 year old, stayed so calm. She got dressed, grabbed her coat, grabbed my phone and met me outside. She makes me so proud. We all get in the back of the ambulance and Karleigh isn't convulsing anymore but she's still not fully back. Ten minutes later we arrive at the hospital and Karleigh finally wakes up. They did blood work and urine tests and all came back clean. What worried them most is this time she didn't have a fever.

Yesterday we had the follow up with her pedi. We're sitting in the room and what do you know... Karleigh goes limp, jerking and blue. Her little body going through it again. The doctor and nurse put cold rags on her body to help bring her back. She started groaning about a minute later. She was so sleepy. This time she had a fever. We gave her acetaminophen suppositories but her temp was still rising so they gave her Advil on top of it. Finally, her temp dropped one degree. Better than nothing. Come to find out, Karleigh has an ear infection. Leilah, also. How the hospital missed that? No idea.

We went to the pediatric neurologist today and we have to schedule an EEG. The neurologist doesn't seem too concerned but she wants to make sure. I'm having such a long week. Two kids, two fevers, one with seizures, two doses of antibiotics which are now giving them diarrhea and to top it off... I have a fever and scratchy throat. Can you say exhausted?!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
queenamy
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Aww im sorry. They are scary when you dont know.
Siezures aometimes cause a fever because her body feels like it needs to fight something off

When having seizure it ia also normal for whitr blood cell count to rise up.
An eeg will not show anything unless her brain is misz fireing at that time or within 24hrs before.
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Why would they tell me to schedule one then? It was a pain driving there. I don't want to go back for no reason. They said it will show if she has tendencies for epilepsy since it runs in the family.

Quoting queenamy:

Siezures aometimes cause a fever because her body feels like it needs to fight something off

An eeg will not show anything unless her brain is misz fireing at that time or within 24hrs before.
baby7810
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:43 PM

aww how scary. i'm sorry. hope they can figure something out

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:46 PM
I'm hoping it's only febrile seizures.

Quoting baby7810:

aww how scary. i'm sorry. hope they can figure something out

needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:54 PM

They are going to have you do an EEG just to make sure it wasn't anything more serious. While it probably was just due to thefever, with seizures it is better safe than sorry. I feel for you. My oldest had a rare seizure condition as a baby. At the height of it he was having 200 a day. No that is not a typo. It is such a helpless feeling watching your child go through that. And then they are just exhausted afterwards. Good luck. I hope it is nothing more than a febrile seizure and your DD will be ok.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Why would they tell me to schedule one then? It was a pain driving there. I don't want to go back for no reason. They said it will show if she has tendencies for epilepsy since it runs in the family.

Quoting queenamy:

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM
But queenamy said it won't show anything. Now I'm confused.. And yes! All I kept telling my husband is how helpless I felt. :(

Quoting needadvice1983:

They are going to have you do an EEG just to make sure it wasn't anything more serious. While it probably was just due to thefever, with seizures it is better safe than sorry. I feel for you. My oldest had a rare seizure condition as a baby. At the height of it he was having 200 a day. No that is not a typo. It is such a helpless feeling watching your child go through that. And then they are just exhausted afterwards. Good luck. I hope it is nothing more than a febrile seizure and your DD will be ok.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting queenamy:

needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:18 PM
If they were just febrile seizure then yes they won't show up on an EEG. But the doctor is going to do one to make sure that they are in fact febrile and that her EEG is clear. If something does show up then they will know that it wasn't a febrile seizure and something else is going on. They just want to rule out that there is something more serious going on. More than likely her EEG will be clear.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

But queenamy said it won't show anything. Now I'm confused.. And yes! All I kept telling my husband is how helpless I felt. :(

Quoting needadvice1983:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting queenamy:

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:10 PM
I see. They want me to schedule it sometime next week. Is it a long process?

Quoting needadvice1983:

If they were just febrile seizure then yes they won't show up on an EEG. But the doctor is going to do one to make sure that they are in fact febrile and that her EEG is clear. If something does show up then they will know that it wasn't a febrile seizure and something else is going on. They just want to rule out that there is something more serious going on. More than likely her EEG will be clear.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting needadvice1983:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting queenamy:

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:05 PM

is your dh a dr or something? not sure why you called him instead of 911. anyway hope everything works out.

kaylasmom22
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Breath mama I went through the same thing. Dd had her first febrile seizure at 11 months then 2 back to back at 2 years old. It's normal for neurologist to do an EEG and MRI as well. Just to rule out any other problems. Dd had to be put to sleep for the MRI. Pm me if you need to talk. And dont get scare if she gets another one,they can happen up to age 6. The more she gets them,the more chances of repeating she gets.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN