Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Question for someone who knows cars

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM
  • 13 Replies
Or your husband...

Bought a 2001 Subaru legacy sedan. Got an awesome deal so some repairs were expected. But.. This we are stumped.

It has been getting really hot but not overheating but getting to hot. Flushed the radiator, new thermostat, burped it?, and now they say I need a new radiator which is fine just doesn't add up.. Bc it's driving weird.

I can drive it gets hot so I pull over and just letting it idle it goes to normal temp. Before we took it in we parked it left it on and looked at it and the fan wasn't moving so my uncle touched it and it started so he thinks something is wrong with the fan bc why would the car cool off immediately when you pull over takes less than 2 minutes to read normal temp. I'm scheduled to get a new radiator tomorrow but would rather not spend the money on that if it's the fan. Does anybody have any idea?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
madwifa
by Robin on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:15 PM

could be water pump or heater core.

Justine1123
by Justine on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Mechanic said water pump is working good and heater is hot would it be working that good if it was a heater core?

Quoting madwifa:

could be water pump or heater core.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adrianasmommy07
by Kristin on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Sounds like the fan. I would check it first.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Justine1123
by Justine on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM
That's what we think bc it wasn't kicking on earlier like it should have although they say it's working at the shop. I'd rather seriously have them double check the fan than pay for an unneeded radiator I am not made of money lol.

Quoting adrianasmommy07:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adrianasmommy07
by Kristin on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:47 PM
It could be just a short in the wiring to it making it act up intermittently.

Quoting Justine1123:

That's what we think bc it wasn't kicking on earlier like it should have although they say it's working at the shop. I'd rather seriously have them double check the fan than pay for an unneeded radiator I am not made of money lol.

Quoting adrianasmommy07:

Sassy01
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM
could be the sensor for the fan.my Buick did the same thing and it was the automatic fan relay.
Justine1123
by Justine on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:02 AM
The mechanic says its bit thr fan but we saw it not working until we touched it. And the car immediately cools down at idle. It's like maybe the fan stops going when I'm driving down the highway. I'm just not sure I just know I spent 107.00 today to fix nothing so I'd hate to spend 200 tomorrow and again not fix it.

Quoting Sassy01:

could be the sensor for the fan.my Buick did the same thing and it was the automatic fan relay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:04 AM

One fan or two? Oh and when your car overheats the best thing to do is to turn on the heat-full blast. That allows your heater core to act as a second radiator and keeps the heat from warping the head of your engine making you need a new head gasket.....

Justine1123
by Justine on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:20 AM
It has two fans and u blast the beat and just crack my windows and oh yes that heat works so good I burn up but I'd rather sweat than ruin my car.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

One fan or two? Oh and when your car overheats the best thing to do is to turn on the heat-full blast. That allows your heater core to act as a second radiator and keeps the heat from warping the head of your engine making you need a new head gasket.....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMBG825
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:29 AM

Sounds like the blower motor is going. When you have the heat on and it's not blowing, reach down under the dash (near where your fuse box would be) and tap. See if that will jolt it.

If it's saying that it's overheating but not really overheating check your temp sensor. There are 2 temp sensors. One for the gauge and one for the actual engine.

Check your coolant level. If it's low, then check your oil. Look at the color of the oil on the dipstick. If it has a greenish tint to it, then you have a cracked head gasket.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)