Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How old is too old for a man to become a dad?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM
  • 41 Replies

Last night I heard Garrison Keillor perform.  (You might not know him but he's the host of a radio show, A Prairie Home Companion.)

Anyway, he was saying he became a father again at age 55.  He's 70 now and his daughter is 15.

So I was wondering . . . . how old is too old to become a dad?  Is it unfair to a child to have a really old father who will probably die while the child's still young?

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Edited by
on
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:22 PM
5 moms liked this

IDK? DH is almost 40 and we are praying for a third child(I am 28). I think it really just depends on the person. You could die at anytime, so that part doesn't rreally bother me. I know 70 and 80 year olds who are in amazing shape(better than some 20 years olds,lol). Who can get down and play with the kids and keep up with them with no problems. I don't believe there is a real "set" age, just depends.

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:26 PM
There is a post very similar to this on the next page I think started because Steve Martin apparently became a first time dad recently at the age of 67. I personally think between 45-50 for a dad to a newborn is getting to be "to old". I understand that many people are waiting to be more settled and financially secure which means older first time parents. I also know that age can be just a number and your health and energy level can also play a big factor. But you can only out run old age and death for so long. The longer you wait to have children or the older you are still having them the greater your chances of them losing you while they are still young or at the very least before meeting your grandkids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thickmamaof2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:28 PM
My dad is 48 and has a baby on the way. And a 4 year old. His wife is 25
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AHmom103
by Alexis on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

If you're going to be old enough to collect social security by the time your kid would graduate college, you're too old.

autiemama516
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:36 PM

IDK. I think if a man is pushing 70 that is way too old. I am thinking of Hugh Hefner.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:58 PM

DH's dad was 55 when he was born, and DH has a younger sister(by 4 years) too..... He passed aways in 09 so he did get to see his kids grow up and he got to see 5 grand kids. 

CrystalPystol
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I think it is a personal preference.

kansasmom1978
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

It's up to the father. A child won't see it as unfair unless they hear the unnecessary judgement this stupid world spews.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Biologically never too old .  For all the other stuff I really dont know since a 20 yr old male could have a baby and get killed the next day or die suddenly of medical issues.

numonestunar
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:43 PM
For us, 35. My husband doesnt want to be any older than 35 by the time we have another. That would make me 29.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN