Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

They changed the routine..ugh

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:55 PM
  • 8 Replies

My husband's parents are here to help me with the kids since i just had a baby. Before they came I had my 1 year old on a great bedtime routine. She would go to sleep in her crib, on her own, at about 10p-10;30p. It took me lots of attempts at different things and i went through heck trying to get her to sleep on her own at a decent hour. I planned for this because I knew I would have a newborn baby soon to keep me up and i wanted her to at least be asleep at a good time so i wouldnt have to deal with 2 babies and their sleeping issues. 

Well...i explained to them the bedtime routine the first day they were here. I also explained WHY it was important to keep it since there will be a new baby to worry about. Sure enough..they have slowly started doing things their way and now my 1 year old is awake past 10:30p and will not go  to sleep on her own. My husband told me she didn't get to sleep until past 12am last night. I just got home from the hospital today with my newborn, and I have realized that not only is she not going to bed now, but I also have a newborn baby to try and get on some kind of routine. I am pretty frustrated and being sleep deprived makes it horrible to deal with. When they go back home, I will be left  with 2 babies that will not sleep at night. I told them tonight that she needs to get back on her routine because I worked hard to get her there. Let's see what happens. It's 11pm here, and she is still awake and not anywhere near going to bed. I am in my bedroom breastfeeding the newborn and thinking..this is going to be a very long night. 

juggling

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:06 AM

How long has she been out of routine?  It should be fairly easy to get her back on track once they leave if not before they leave.  I would be miffed as well.   The one time mom took dd for an overnight at her hotel room, i told her the routine and she stuck to it.  She was amazed that when she said time for sleep dd rolled over and promptly fell asleep.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:18 AM
it will be a rough few nights after they leave but it isn't too hard to get mostkids back on track..if they haven't been off to long.
ccmvm
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Any change in the household would throw off any sort of routine. Even if your inlaws had not come, i guarantee a new baby in the house would have changed up the routine and bedtime would not be the same (atleast until things returned to some sort of normalcy for your DD).

Punkslilncs
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Heads would roll if it was me. I would be livid, on top of that you just had a baby, so are super emotional. I am honestly surprised that you are calm enough to type all this out. After I had my daughter I was on this horrible emotional rollercoaster. 

KristenFowles
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:24 AM

People who don't routine just don't understand how CRUCIAL it is to routined children.

Due9
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I am also surprised at my calmness. Maybe it's the calm before the storm?

I remember after I gave birth to my daughter I went a little crazy..very emotional, totally bitchy, etc. I guess now, I feel like I can't do much about it except tell them to get her back on routine. What makes it worse is, when I mentioned it to my MIL, she seemed bothered...I mean, please get out of my house if you cannot help me and just want to have things your way. I can just see her now going back home and talking about me because of this...they gets me more bothered than anything. 

Quoting Punkslilncs:

Heads would roll if it was me. I would be livid, on top of that you just had a baby, so are super emotional. I am honestly surprised that you are calm enough to type all this out. After I had my daughter I was on this horrible emotional rollercoaster. 

juggling

Paperfishies
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:29 AM

All it will take is one morning of making her up early and not allowing a nap for her to be back on schedule.  She will be grumpy throughout the day but it will only be one day.

Punkslilncs
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:30 PM

It's horrible cause you are gonna come off as ungrateful for their help, but if you have a routine, or set rules they should honor those. I guess they weren't thinking about the hard times you would have once they left you with two kids who aren't on a schedual.

Quoting Due9:

I am also surprised at my calmness. Maybe it's the calm before the storm?

I remember after I gave birth to my daughter I went a little crazy..very emotional, totally bitchy, etc. I guess now, I feel like I can't do much about it except tell them to get her back on routine. What makes it worse is, when I mentioned it to my MIL, she seemed bothered...I mean, please get out of my house if you cannot help me and just want to have things your way. I can just see her now going back home and talking about me because of this...they gets me more bothered than anything. 

Quoting Punkslilncs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN