Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

almost 40 weeks pregnant.

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM
  • 39 Replies

Ok so I hope this isn't too tmi but I will be 40weeks pregnant tomorrow and I am  1 cm dilated. I have been having contractions since 33 weeks but no change. My doctor said she wanted to do a membrane sweep to help things along I said yes. I mean if it can help and it is safe why not lol. My question is have you ever had that done? If so how long after did you go into labor? 

I have been doing everything that is safe to do to kick start something but nothing is working. I would rather go into labor naturally then be induced only because I heard it hurts so much more. I will take any help thanks. 

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brooklynsmom82
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:33 PM
I had mine done 3 times and still had to be induced. Good luck though maybe it will work for you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmomat22
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

oh ok. with my daughter i had her the day before ai was supposed to be induced and I didn't do the membrane sweep thing. This pregnancy is so different though, thanks for the help,. 

Quoting Brooklynsmom82:

I had mine done 3 times and still had to be induced. Good luck though maybe it will work for you

Rebecca204
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM

never had the membrane sweeping done, but with 4 of my 5 kiddoes I was induced, the contractions really didnt feel any different than when i went into labor naturally....they both hurt the same. imo, i would just get induced and get it over with, but thats just me, I get impatient sometimes.

newmomat22
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:01 PM

oh ok. I am impatient too believe me I want my little boy  like yesterday lol. thanks for the help. 

Quoting Rebecca204:

never had the membrane sweeping done, but with 4 of my 5 kiddoes I was induced, the contractions really didnt feel any different than when i went into labor naturally....they both hurt the same. imo, i would just get induced and get it over with, but thats just me, I get impatient sometimes.

Due9
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Never had it done. But I can understand your frustration with wanting natural labor to start. I just had a baby 4 days ago and I was surprised I went naturally. I had an induction date for next week all set up and I thought I would make it..but a dull cramping started, became a pattern and pain got worse but never really that painful like most women explain. At least it wasn't that painful to me. Of course as the contractions hit every 4 minutes they were uncomfortable and I had to pause what I was doing to breath through them, but it wasn't a pain that I had to scream through or anything. Watch out because labor started for me on a day that I felt very tired and basically laid on the couch all day. I thought it would happen on a day where I was active and walking. Nope, it was a day where I barely moved. It started in the evening and I thought it was nothing but braxton hicks at first, but 3 hours later after 3 glasses of water and changing position..they became regular and I had a baby just 4 hours after being admitted to L and D :)

juggling

newmomat22
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:13 PM

wow I have beem having braxton hicks and they happened when I was active but lately I can't seem to get the energy up to move. I have been laying on the couch all day. With my daughter the contractions were bad and strong but I don't handle pain very well lol thanks for the help. 

Quoting Due9:

Never had it done. But I can understand your frustration with wanting natural labor to start. I just had a baby 4 days ago and I was surprised I went naturally. I had an induction date for next week all set up and I thought I would make it..but a dull cramping started, became a pattern and pain got worse but never really that painful like most women explain. At least it wasn't that painful to me. Of course as the contractions hit every 4 minutes they were uncomfortable and I had to pause what I was doing to breath through them, but it wasn't a pain that I had to scream through or anything. Watch out because labor started for me on a day that I felt very tired and basically laid on the couch all day. I thought it would happen on a day where I was active and walking. Nope, it was a day where I barely moved. It started in the evening and I thought it was nothing but braxton hicks at first, but 3 hours later after 3 glasses of water and changing position..they became regular and I had a baby just 4 hours after being admitted to L and D :)

TableforSeven
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:18 PM

My doc convinced me to let her do a membrane sweep - hurt like crazy, I bled a bit...never went into labor.  A week later she started doing it again, without my permission....I stopped her as soon as I realized what she was doing but it was too late - I spent the rest of the ay in pain with a little more bleeding....and STILL didnt go into labor.  A week later, I was induced (at 41 weeks).

newmomat22
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:25 PM

My dr said it will hurt but it didnt it just felt uncomfortable thats all. I hope it works I love being pregnant and I love my son but I need him to come out lol. Thanks for the help. 

Quoting TableforSeven:

My doc convinced me to let her do a membrane sweep - hurt like crazy, I bled a bit...never went into labor.  A week later she started doing it again, without my permission....I stopped her as soon as I realized what she was doing but it was too late - I spent the rest of the ay in pain with a little more bleeding....and STILL didnt go into labor.  A week later, I was induced (at 41 weeks).

phantomphan
by PrincessBcake on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Had it done with 2 pregnancies. Baby was here within 24 hours both times.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:31 PM

It's not totally safe. Can break your water and introduce infection. Just hang in there!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)