Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why was my house alarm beeping?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:39 PM
  • 4 Replies

We have a house alarm with motion sensors-but it is not hooked up to any service. So it's basically useless, I guess. We are in a good neighborhood and we just never called ADT, or whoever else, to hook it up (maybe we should). 

Today, my kids and I are sitting watching a movie and we hear a ringing. I thought it was dh's alarm clock. He always has them set because he doesn't want to forget his shift. He has left already for work, so I thought he set it at the wrong time or something. I procrastinate in getting off the couch, but eventually I walk to the bedroom and realize, it is not his alarm clock. It is the house alarm beeping. But it is not really loud and is only a beeping noise. I look at the code it is showing and then look at the key-it is the motion detector. I kinda get freaked out, though I know it's not even hooked up to a company, so how can this be? It has never went off in the 2 years we have lived here. Do you think it's the battery dieing? I tried to google it but couldn't find anything.

juggling

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

my guess would be battery. I have had several alarms that beep and scare the shit out of me when they are dying.

Jebekarue
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Dh use to work for ADT, he asked if the motion detector is wireless (battery operated) if so replace battery in the detector.  If its wired you will need to change the battery in the panel. 

Do you have a code for it?  If so you will need to reset it, whether or not it is monitored. 

If you have window and door sensors they will still beep and alert you that it is being opened.  We have a system that is not monitored but it still beeps when the doors and windows are opened.

MrsRinehart2010
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:57 PM

could be battery.. can people hack those things? just random thought

KatherineM
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM
It's the battery more than likely ours did that and dh replaced the battery and all was well
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN