Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

first time growing strawberries....can someone help?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM
  • 9 Replies
DD5 wanted a strawberry plant. so i got her one but i have no clue what to do. i livein south texas so most likely no more freezes. uf it does ill bring it in. i dont have alot of money to buy a bunch of fertilizers for it. i dont want mericle grow as i kniw its not good for them.....any ideas?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Take her to a local plant nursery so that the person can talk to her and you about the best care for strawberries.  I am in the pacific northwest and we have wild strawberries pop up once in awhile in the fields.

MOMMYSLOVE13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I bought strawberry to start growing form lowes the other day. Im in sc.

mommyof3-2008
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM
What fo you put on yours besides water
pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM

My father grew strawberries in the back yard. He used no chemical fertilizers.  Everything organic.  He made this covering of netting. That the sun and rain could get through. To keep the birds out of his strawberry patch. He had the best strawberries every year. We'd get a batch in June then more in August.   I know coffee grounds and egg shells can be mixed in the dirt when planting a garden.  Probably at the time you till the dirt and prep it for your plants.  Oh if you keep them up. They come back every year.  They multiply. 

KATx4boys
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Don't think there's much to growing strawberrys. We do a pot of them every year and just keep them water they do ok. The main problem we have is the birds eat them. Will have to try some netting like Pinkcoffeecup brought up. Also I live in az so durring the super hot months I put the pot in a partly shady spot.
Missy5326
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:29 AM
I planted 5 plants in a raised bed two years ago and now have hundreds of plants. What i didnt think about were the runners so now i have plants on my lawn. Ugh. I just saw on pintrest today where a lady painted small rocks red and sprinkled them around the plants so when the birds pecked them they stayed away from the actual berry.
NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:59 AM
The birds ate mine
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:06 AM
My mom has strawberries in her garden...she pretty much just waters them. We have to cage them, though, or her dog will eat them, lol! He'll come in with a red snout and we'll know what Jack has been up to!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elephantmamaof2
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Oooh that is an excellent idea!

Quoting Missy5326:

I planted 5 plants in a raised bed two years ago and now have hundreds of plants. What i didnt think about were the runners so now i have plants on my lawn. Ugh. I just saw on pintrest today where a lady painted small rocks red and sprinkled them around the plants so when the birds pecked them they stayed away from the actual berry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)