Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

500 for family pics??

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:30 PM
  • 36 Replies

boy the price of family portraits sure has gone up since the last time we got them done.  I feel shell shocked!  We didn't spend that much, there is no way!  We went to get our pictures done for the new church parish directory.  That picture is free but it has a horrible blue and white background.  We wanted some done with us and also some with just the kids with the black background. 

When the photographer was done we sat down to choose pics.  I asked how much things were since I had no idea.  There were no prices listed.  She said, "why dont we make the list of the things you want, and then we see how much it is?"  That sounded ominous but I made the list.  4 5x7's, 2 8x10's, 2 3x5's and a sheet of wallets of the whole family and the same with just the kids.  the photographer told us that came to 500 dollars and my jaw nearly dropped.  Then she said it was 380 with the church discount. 

We ended up pairing it down to just 2 5x7's of all of us and 2 of the kids.  That cost us 106 dollars!  Insane.

Everyone who supported slavery was free.  Everyone who supports abortion was born.  That, my friends, is how oppression works.  -Anonymous

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SoKamele
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:34 PM

$75 for an onsite photo shoot. I got a cd and the rights.

Best pictures we ever took!!!!

just 2 of the over 150 pictures she took......

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM

beautiful! 

we had much better pics taken 4 years ago and we got several sheets of pics for what we paid today!  They wanted 200 dollars for the cd of 12 pics.  I think they came from the moon if they think this is normal pricing. 

Quoting SoKamele:

Everyone who supported slavery was free.  Everyone who supports abortion was born.  That, my friends, is how oppression works.  -Anonymous

TiffanyMarie80
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:40 PM

this is what we do, too - we spend 70 for the session, she edits the pictures, we get the cd  copyright about 2weeks later, and we spend about 8 on prints /enlargements at Costco (typically 2 8x10, 5 5x7s, and 28 wallets).

this is thisQuoting SoKamele:

southernbelletx
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM
I paid 500 just for a cd
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SoKamele
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I think this is the best way to go...we've gone the portrait route...and it cost 3 times what we paid for the cd........and those 2 pictures aren't even the best ones..lol.

We use La Rue Photography out of York PA..........she really listened to what I wanted...and we were very happy.

I'm sorry you didn't get a better deal.

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM

what made me mad was they didnt advertise prices at all.  None were listed anywhere.  We were already there with all 4 kids to get pics and they were all dressed up.  we had this same company do pics for us when the last parish directory came out and they were less than half that much.  I was not expecting such a change in price.  I can't beleive they wanted 200 for the cd with so few pics.

Quoting SoKamele:

I think this is the best way to go...we've gone the portrait route...and it cost 3 times what we paid for the cd........and those 2 pictures aren't even the best ones..lol.

We use La Rue Photography out of York PA..........she really listened to what I wanted...and we were very happy.

EvaTheDiva29
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM

thats why they don't put prices up. bc they know people will look at them and run for the hills. if youre already there, its easier to talk people into it.

Quoting norahsmommy:

what made me mad was they didnt advertise prices at all.  None were listed anywhere.  We were already there with all 4 kids to get pics and they were all dressed up.  we had this same company do pics for us when the last parish directory came out and they were less than half that much.  I was not expecting such a change in price.  I can't beleive they wanted 200 for the cd with so few pics.

Quoting SoKamele:

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Yup no prices listed is how they fish you in.  We have gone to Sears for the past few years for professional pictures and they always have some kind of "deal" going on.  My brothers wife does photography so now for family photos she does them at different family functions.

thatgirl70
by Carin on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:37 AM

That does seem a bit pricey for the little you got with it. The photography studio we usually go to, I pay about $200 for, but that's for a bunch of poses, sheets (up to 18, or 21 if I forego the 11x13--which I usually do) prints, and a CD (the price goes up of course the more you add to the package, $1,000 is the highest I think).

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:15 AM
That seems reasonable. I think our wedding photos cost about 500 bucks for the prints and the album we got, that was 12 years ago.

Quoting thatgirl70:

That does seem a bit pricey for the little you got with it. The photography studio we usually go to, I pay about $200 for, but that's for a bunch of poses, sheets (up to 18, or 21 if I forego the 11x13--which I usually do) prints, and a CD (the price goes up of course the more you add to the package, $1,000 is the highest I think).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)