Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My dd was spreading STD's in science class.

Posted by   + Show Post

Science class is so different now a days then when I was a kid.  She's a freshman in High school and they are starting on reproduction and sex.  Friday they had a lab where there was cups filled with water. One cup per kid in the class.  Each cup was numbered.  In one of the cups was a liquid that for the life of me i cant remember what she said was the chemical. . It looked like water but when mixed with another chemical it turned pink. .  That was the cup with the STD. The kids didn't know which cup was "infected" until after the experiment.   The kids then each had to pick a playing card and that determined how many partners they had.   Then they would go around mixing the water into each other's cups. Which represented exchanging bodily fluids.  At the end of the experiment they had to see how many kids in the class had gotten infected.  My dd was the one who had the original "std" and she "infected 12 people. then they infected more. by the end of the experiment 19 kids were "infected" out of the 23 in total.

When i was a kid we didnt even learn about std's.  We did have to carry an egg around for a week in junior year.  but nothing on std's at all.  How times have changed.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Replies (21-30):
Rhodin
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:06 AM

It was probably a solution with a slightly high pH, like water with baking soda dissolved in it.  Then, the indicator would have been phenolpthalein, which is clear in acids and pink in bases.  And yes, I did check the spelling of that with google.  It's a very common acid-base indicator and would have been readily available to any science teacher.

AlwaysKISA
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM
That's cool!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mistie900
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM
We always did that in the abstinence class. They did it once a year for like 3 days. Your parents had to sign a form for you to take the class. But we never did it in science class.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM

They did the same thing in my high school health class. Its a good lesson that when you sleep with someone, you are sleeping with everyone they have ever slept with when it comes to STD's.

norwgnwood
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:40 AM
That is a great way to show how easily STDs spread! Love it! (The experiment not STDs).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Newfie_Mom
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:45 AM
My freshman health education class did this experiment as well. As an adult with children I wish all health classes did this. I can tell them the danger but some people are visual learners, get them two ways explain what thy are and then give them a non graphic visual.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
edelweiss23
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM
I think it's a great idea
xxjadedhaloxx
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM

We did that when I was in school.

mewebb82
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:54 AM
That's awesome! I wish they would educate more like that here. My son is sadly getting the same education I got in school.........abstinence only. I am talking to him some, but he is more comfortable with my husband. I learned the names of stds but didn't really know symptoms at all until adulthood. I didn't understand ovulation at all until I was 18 and a mother already. Denial that teens do have sex is not going to help them. This kind of hands on education seems so much more ideal.
WendyJR
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine was 15 years ago lol

Quoting BoxxyBabee:

We did it 13yr ago lol

Quoting WendyJR:

Quoting BoxxyBabee:

We did that in 7th grade

us too. Not the same experiment but we talked about STDS. And the 7th grade was a long time ago for me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN