Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My dd was spreading STD's in science class.

Posted by   + Show Post

Science class is so different now a days then when I was a kid.  She's a freshman in High school and they are starting on reproduction and sex.  Friday they had a lab where there was cups filled with water. One cup per kid in the class.  Each cup was numbered.  In one of the cups was a liquid that for the life of me i cant remember what she said was the chemical. . It looked like water but when mixed with another chemical it turned pink. .  That was the cup with the STD. The kids didn't know which cup was "infected" until after the experiment.   The kids then each had to pick a playing card and that determined how many partners they had.   Then they would go around mixing the water into each other's cups. Which represented exchanging bodily fluids.  At the end of the experiment they had to see how many kids in the class had gotten infected.  My dd was the one who had the original "std" and she "infected 12 people. then they infected more. by the end of the experiment 19 kids were "infected" out of the 23 in total.

When i was a kid we didnt even learn about std's.  We did have to carry an egg around for a week in junior year.  but nothing on std's at all.  How times have changed.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Replies (31-40):
GirlieGal76
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I'm in my mid-30's and we did something like that when I was in 8th grade. It makes a lasting impression that's for sure! :-)

Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I'm 32.  We did the exact same lesson in high school biology 17 years ago. 

But I bet it is regional.  I grew up and live in the Northeast where, luckily, the schools have been allowed to teach those kinds of things for a long time.  

GaleJ
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:10 PM

This is a GREAT lab demonstration and a very valid learning method. I hope your daughter and her classmates were properly impressed with it. This should be done for every single high school student. While I would personally support some self-restraint in the sexual activity of our young people I have never thought that abstinence as either a policy or realistic limit for hormonally supercharged adolescents was practical and so want every young person to be taught and to understand the dangers they face and to know how to best protect themselves.

.Nobody.
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM
That's cool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miss_MikLain
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:45 AM
You and your daughter are soooooo gorgeous!!!!! !

Quoting KayLundy3:

Wow lol

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:49 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your AIDS... Or are you exempt from AIDS because you're a mother now?

Quoting MyraEllen:

We learned about STD's, but it was more scare tactics. So, lots of white lies. "If you have sex you WILL either get pregnant or AIDS because condoms are useless so just don't have sex." Didn't work. At one point, we had the most pregnant teens enrolled in our school of all the public high schools in the country. They still wouldn't budge on the abstinence-based sex ed.

LCG83
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:51 AM
That sounds like a neat experiment.
pittiesmom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:52 AM
My school taught sex ed when I was 5th grade. That was around 15 years ago? In this day and age, I can't believe your dd's school waited til freshmen year to explain std's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_2_be_2010
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:53 AM
We carried a ceramic egg in 6 th grade health 8-9th grade health was when we had to learn about stds didn't have sex til i was 21 had my first ob apointment when i got pregnant at 22
Basherte
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:59 AM

I think this is a good idea. I like it a lot.

wedding countdown

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN