Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My dd was spreading STD's in science class.

Posted by   + Show Post

Science class is so different now a days then when I was a kid.  She's a freshman in High school and they are starting on reproduction and sex.  Friday they had a lab where there was cups filled with water. One cup per kid in the class.  Each cup was numbered.  In one of the cups was a liquid that for the life of me i cant remember what she said was the chemical. . It looked like water but when mixed with another chemical it turned pink. .  That was the cup with the STD. The kids didn't know which cup was "infected" until after the experiment.   The kids then each had to pick a playing card and that determined how many partners they had.   Then they would go around mixing the water into each other's cups. Which represented exchanging bodily fluids.  At the end of the experiment they had to see how many kids in the class had gotten infected.  My dd was the one who had the original "std" and she "infected 12 people. then they infected more. by the end of the experiment 19 kids were "infected" out of the 23 in total.

When i was a kid we didnt even learn about std's.  We did have to carry an egg around for a week in junior year.  but nothing on std's at all.  How times have changed.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Replies (41-49):
gamelas
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM

what a great experiment to show infection and contamination!  

KZuz
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM
I didn't even know what an STD was back then but times have changed and it's good their learning early
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Paigesmommy78
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:04 AM
That a great experiment for kids today
Momyplease
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:05 AM
I wish all the schools did that experiment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tairakittie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:07 AM

thank GOODNESS they are being more in depth on SEX ED now, kids need to be taught and most parents wont do it...

Ms.Pink.
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I think the visual was a good idea. It's easy to throw out statistics and numbers to kids who are probably all day dreaming about what they are gonna do that weekend. Studies show that not everyone learns the same anyway, some NEED that visual learning. I think I'll do something like this when I begin teaching my children about safe sex.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmiJanell
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I think that sounds like a great lesson!  Hopefully it really hit home for all of her classmates on how real STD's are!

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Good! Kids today need lessons like that to show them how serious this is.
star-wars-junki
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Great title for a post! You could be a newspaper editor. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN