Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

New Mom & New to CafeMom hoping that someone can provide advice on returning to work

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hello!   I am thrilled to finally be a new mommy and am head over heals in love with our little girl. I'm seeking advice from other moms that may have been faced with the difficult decision of returning (or not) returning to work after maternity leave.

I've known for a long time  now that I'm not happy in my job.  I've known this wouldn't be the place I retired from.  With the birth of our daughter, it's now crystal clear to me that I'm not where I belong.  Having her changed everything.  I'm sure many mothers feel this way, but I know that I can't bear the thought of someone else caring for her from day to day.  They are only this little for a short amount of time and I don't want to hand that experience over to someone else to have for me.  I want to be with her.

At the same time, I can't just stop working.  My income is crucial to our household.  While I want to devote myself to being her mom, it's not realistic for me to just not work at all.  I've begun looking in to work from home opportunities/telecommuting.  I know they are out there.  I've heard plenty of people talk about their own, but you can't find anything that seems legitimate when I do these searches.

I have had the blessings of being able to work from home before and have never abused it.  In fact, it's always been a reward given to me for hard work since they know I'm the type of employee who is basically "married" to her job.  I want to pursue this as my next career venture so I can both work to provide for my family and be there to see my little girl grow. 

Does anyone out there know of such opportunities/companies that seek telecommuter employees?  Did anyone out there stop working with the birth of their child, but still find ways to make an income?  I'm looking for any info you can share.  I'm due to return to work in a few short weeks and am hoping to find something in that time.

Please & thank you!!

Retrogirl10

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't work when my kids were babies but had to go back when they were toddlers. So, I worked the opposite schedule of my husband so one of us always was home with the kids. It wasn't ideal for our marriage then but I am so happy that we chose that route.

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this
There is a website called
virtualvocations.com.
A friend of mine got a job with LG as a technical writer through them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
retrogirl10
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much!  I actually stumbled across that site this morning.  Just haven't had the chance to explore (someone woke up from their nap:))  But I plan to do so today.  I'm in a situation too where I have a variety of skills, but many will just be viewed as administrative.  Administrative work is what keeps places running a good bit of the time!  And I've always been regarded as an asset because I usually run circles around the people around me.  I'm hoping I can find a good fit somewhere out there.  Again thank you for taking the time to reply and let me know if you hear of anything else?

And can I just say that CafeMom has been way more helpful regarding this issue for me than the Moms support group I joined at the hospital!  Thanks again!

Kelly

Quoting crwspringer:

There is a website called
virtualvocations.com.
A friend of mine got a job with LG as a technical writer through them.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Congrats on your new little girl!

Going back to work, or not, is a difficult decision.  I think you need to weigh your options, maybe go back to your current job for a while while you seek out other employment.

Quoting retrogirl10:

Hello!   I am thrilled to finally be a new mommy and am head over heals in love with our little girl. I'm seeking advice from other moms that may have been faced with the difficult decision of returning (or not) returning to work after maternity leave.

I've known for a long time  now that I'm not happy in my job.  I've known this wouldn't be the place I retired from.  With the birth of our daughter, it's now crystal clear to me that I'm not where I belong.  Having her changed everything.  I'm sure many mothers feel this way, but I know that I can't bear the thought of someone else caring for her from day to day.  They are only this little for a short amount of time and I don't want to hand that experience over to someone else to have for me.  I want to be with her.

At the same time, I can't just stop working.  My income is crucial to our household.  While I want to devote myself to being her mom, it's not realistic for me to just not work at all.  I've begun looking in to work from home opportunities/telecommuting.  I know they are out there.  I've heard plenty of people talk about their own, but you can't find anything that seems legitimate when I do these searches.

I have had the blessings of being able to work from home before and have never abused it.  In fact, it's always been a reward given to me for hard work since they know I'm the type of employee who is basically "married" to her job.  I want to pursue this as my next career venture so I can both work to provide for my family and be there to see my little girl grow. 

Does anyone out there know of such opportunities/companies that seek telecommuter employees?  Did anyone out there stop working with the birth of their child, but still find ways to make an income?  I'm looking for any info you can share.  I'm due to return to work in a few short weeks and am hoping to find something in that time.

Please & thank you!!

Retrogirl10

retrogirl10
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Hello and thank you for replying. Yes, as difficult as that morning will be, I know that if I haven't figured something out by the end of maternity leave, I will be headed back to that office.

Quoting amonkeymom:

Congrats on your new little girl!

Going back to work, or not, is a difficult decision.  I think you need to weigh your options, maybe go back to your current job for a while while you seek out other employment.

Quoting retrogirl10:

Please & thank you!!

Retrogirl10

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN