Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

kid deposit/rent

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:21 AM
  • 38 Replies

My friend just bought a 2nd house and is now going to rent out his condo since he doesn't need 2 homes within 10 miles of each other (but he wants to still own both).

Anyways, it's a 2 bedroom condo, private parking - really nice place. So I asked him about it since a coworker I know is looking for a place closer to work and she has 2 daughters ages 4 and 6.

Well my friend told me that he would need to charge an extra deposit for kids plus the rent would be $10 higher for each child in the house...

Wouldn't this be illegal or am I just being overly sensitive? I asked his reasoning and he said kids are much like some pets - destructive. Really? My kids don't destroy the house and neither does my friends kids!! But I never heard of such b.s.

Any suggestions?

Follow me over to my group for Neonates, Baby think it over, realcare, and reborn! Collectors welcomed! Click the Pic!

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2ljh
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:22 AM
As long as he's up front about the fees, I don't see anything illegal. Immoral, yes, but not illegal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this
Kids can be destructive. I don't blame him for wanting to protect his home. Maybe after 6 months he can go see the place and if it's still in good shape, lower the rent. I don't see the big deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Sounds reasonable.

Mrskingman
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I've just never heard of such things...

sam12796
by Sandy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I don't think it is unreasonable. Jerkish yes. However if she doesn't want to do it then keep looking. Kids do things it happens. He is wanting to protect his investment and honestly I think a higher deposit would be fine.

BoxxyBabee
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM
My kids are destructive. Thank god we rent. I expect to lose our deposit lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizard_Lina
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Honestly I think its a good idea. Whether or not the kids are destructive by definition, accidents happen. Juice on the carpet for example.... As long as he is up front its not illegal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
krise
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM

forget that.. I wouldn't even bother.

KristenFowles
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Not illegal at all. 

And it makes sense.. Kids break things, are hard on things, and ruin things.. Period.

Kitschy
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Seems smart
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN