Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??? *update*

I just started pumping ( one side to increase milk) and nothing is coming out. HELP!

UPDATE: So today I mastered pumping and nursing at the same time and I got one ounce. So this brings on all kinds of questions like can I refrigerate the one ounce and add to it later with fresh milk? How long can I refrigerate for?

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Replies (11-20):
inspain
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM

My "problem boob" is on the right.  About 25% smaller than the left, nipple scarring from a piercing and a 3cm scar from removal of a lump.  It seems to be way more work than my other boob.  And, now, after DD2's horrible shallow latch, the nipple is shaped like a triangle.  Thar poor boob will never get another string of Mardi Gras beads.  :-(

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

He was three weeks yesterday. My left breast is way smaller and doesn't have as much milk. Baby has to really work on that breast vs the other which comes out to fast most times.

Quoting inspain:

Don't panic.  When was the baby born and why are you pumping?  I barely got half an ounce out of both breasts by two weeks and next to nothing before that.  Never once got more than two ounces and the two ounces only once or twice.  Every drop was agonizing and took 20 minutes.  I don't pump now.  It's just too hard.  Check out kellymom.com for more pumping info.

LoveMyLos
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Holy shit! There is no coming back from that!!!! Lmfao im glad he finally made his appearance!

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Lol! Good thing I did three weeks ago or I would have DIED! He was almost 11 lbs

Quoting LoveMyLos:

Have you had that baby yet? Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JJJMommyKris
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Are you drinking plenty of water?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Normal pump output is 0.5-2 oz both sides combined. Some women just never respond to a pump. What pump are you using? Are you pumping in place of a feeding or after a feeding?
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Quoting wonderwomanT08:

My oldest brother was a BIG baby too. He was 10 lbs 12 oz.
xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM
The easiest way would be to pump on that side while baby is nursing on the other - you'll respond better - and then have baby take care of what the pump couldn't get out.
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Madila? Im not sure of the spelling and I'm BF right now :) I nurse him on both sides (small side first now so he will actually eat on it) then pump

I've only tried twice so far today....first time.

Quoting Junebaby18:

Normal pump output is 0.5-2 oz both sides combined. Some women just never respond to a pump. What pump are you using? Are you pumping in place of a feeding or after a feeding?

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Trying

Quoting JJJMommyKris:

Are you drinking plenty of water?

Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Quoting wonderwomanT08:

If you're only just starting to pump, it is very normal to not get much at all out. Try once a day in the morning after he's done nursing. If you do it every day, your body will respond and think baby needs more milk so it will up production at that time. Don't do it anymore right now since your supply is still getting regulated as that can make you have oversupply which really isn't that good of a thing to have.
Medela is a pretty good pump.
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Quoting wonderwomanT08:

Everytime you sit down to nurse, bring a bottle of water or a BIG cup of water with you. Drink while baby drinks.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)