Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Anyone had to remove a tree stump?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:06 PM
  • 17 Replies

We had a very annoying tree that was growing right by our house.  This thing grew over our back steps and left sticky sap everywhere.  I love trees but this weedy thing was a pita!  We had a guy come and cut it down but we still have the stump.  Now we need to get rid of the stump so it doesn't grow back.  

I looked on the websites for Home Depot and Lowe's but didn't find much.  I really can't burn said stump as it would then burn our house down.  Also, reviews said you have to drill holes in the stump.  Is there any other way to do it?  I was hoping I could just pour something on it and it would die.  Do any of ya'll have any experience with this or any advice?  Thanks for your help!  

I am a busy working mom to two very active girls.  I love my kids, play on the floor in the fort with them, take them to the park, and love them always!  I can't imagine life without them!

school bus       school bus

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GirlieGal76
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:47 PM

There are products that you can "paint" onto the stump in order to make it sto growing. I don't know if those things actually help it decompose though. Even if you do the drilling and adding chemicals, or even salt water, it will take about 3 years for it to rot. If you want it gone within the next few years then having it actually removed is the only way.

PlaysAllDay
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:58 PM
I've removed a few stumps. The 1st time I tried I mailed copper into them, dumped bleach on them, it didn't help. After a year I rented a stump grinder and drilled them out. It wasn't that difficult. Two of them I hooked our company flatbed to and ripped them out. My boss wasn't very happy about that one, lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM

unfortunatley its not that easy, call said guy back to do stump removal, he can use a large machine to grind it down, and then drill holes into and then pour chemicals into the holes that would kill off the root system.

after about a year you should bee left with nothing but some dead wsood

Lizard_Lina
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM
I just rented a stump grinder and then used the wood as mulch. There are things you can pour but they take a really long time to rot the stump and idk how effective they are for long term, like the roots and stuff.
snowmommy0406
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM
I had two removed from my yard by having someone come and grind them out
aj23
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM

You can either pay someone to remove it or wait for it to decompose. That's about your only options if you don't want to burn it.

You can put a tarp over it and add some things to help it decompose faster but it will still take a few months at best.  Copper nails are also supposed to help it break down faster but I've never tried it.

MandaMom23
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM

How big is the stump?  I asked my brother about this and he said you can rent a stump grinder or hire someone or you can dig around the stump and cut it off below grade and then put dirt on top of it and plant grass.

Momtogirls0823
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I forgot to add that it is between our house and the back steps.  The space is only a few inches across.  The stump isn't that big it's just in a very tight spot.  So I don't know what to do with it.  I just know I don't want it growing back!  Ugh!

mama_l
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:21 PM
In that case, being so tiny, get the stump remover chemical and just keep up with it til it is gone.

Quoting Momtogirls0823:

I forgot to add that it is between our house and the back steps.  The space is only a few inches across.  The stump isn't that big it's just in a very tight spot.  So I don't know what to do with it.  I just know I don't want it growing back!  Ugh!

Momtogirls0823
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Have you ever used one before?  How well did it work?

Quoting mama_l:

In that case, being so tiny, get the stump remover chemical and just keep up with it til it is gone.

Quoting Momtogirls0823:

I am a busy working mom to two very active girls.  I love my kids, play on the floor in the fort with them, take them to the park, and love them always!  I can't imagine life without them!

school bus       school bus

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)