Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Processed Foods?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:49 PM
  • 6 Replies

If you don't eat this , what do you buy when you go shopping? All the ingredients in foods that are bad for you, what can we eat?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Well processed is a vague and all-encompassing term.  For example, crackers and cereal are processed and we eat those things.  But we avoid pre-packaged stuff.  Instead of buying a packet of seasoned rice, for example, I make actual rice and just season it myself.  I don't buy a frozen lasagna.  I just make a lasagna.  I don't buy a pre-made skillet thing.  I just saute meat and veggies, etc. on the stove myself.  Is that what you mean?  Or do you mean like eating really super basic and nothing processed ever?  If that's the case, I'd imagine it's a lot of fresh produce, whole grains (not the instant processed ones) like barley, rice, quinoa, etc. 

Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:59 PM
if its frozen, in a box, or in a can check the lable. If it has more than 5-6 ingrediants or ingrediants you can't pronounce and don't know what it is, don't buy it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamaofficer
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Quoting Kmary:

Well processed is a vague and all-encompassing term.  For example, crackers and cereal are processed and we eat those things.  But we avoid pre-packaged stuff.  Instead of buying a packet of seasoned rice, for example, I make actual rice and just season it myself.  I don't buy a frozen lasagna.  I just make a lasagna.  I don't buy a pre-made skillet thing.  I just saute meat and veggies, etc. on the stove myself.  Is that what you mean?  Or do you mean like eating really super basic and nothing processed ever?  If that's the case, I'd imagine it's a lot of fresh produce, whole grains (not the instant processed ones) like barley, rice, quinoa, etc. 

I was talking about the ingredients in foods, so this should of been a 2 part question. But what you describe will help me, so thanks.

inspain
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:06 PM

We eat very very little processed food.  I even make my own pasta about half the time.  

My guilty pleasure is the occasional bag of Cool Ranch flavored Doritos.  But I live in Costa Rica and a bag of that flavor is rare and hard to pass up, even at $6.50 a bag.  :-)

spunky946
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Shop the perimeter of the store.  Fresh fruits/veggies/ potatoes instead of instant potatos.  We do buy pasta and cereal.  

SusanTheWriter
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I buy ingredients, not already-made things, if that helps. For instance, I don't buy a box of mac and cheese. I buy pasta, cheese and milk, then make mac and cheese from that.

We don't eat 100% clean. Life's not worth living without Oreos, imo. :) But we do try to stay away from as many food preservatives, colors and other chemicals as possible. I'm actually allergic to a lot of them and break out in hives when I've gone over my food chemical limit for the day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)