Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Red [Lake] Dye #40

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:03 PM
  • 16 Replies
Any Mommas out there that have a child(ren) that have a R.D#40 allergy? We have kept our under control for some time now. But now since my DD is in Kindergarten, we are now living in a Petri dish...ugh. I wanna know, do you have any old school antibiotics that you can use for ear infections & what not that do not have the RD#40 in it...this is becoming mind boggling trying to research what she can't! and can take....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PerfectVirgo
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Poor thing. :( bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CaddyBug
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Yea...nothing fun for her unless I buy it or make it w/special stuff. Its good b/c I don't want her to have all that junk- but still these are the times it gets beyond frustrating!!!

Quoting PerfectVirgo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemom1208
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:06 PM
He doesn't have an allergy, but we avoid it. Ask the pharmacist if they can get it without the dye.
JoJoBean8
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:08 PM
My dd is allergic to dyes and has had abx. It's the flavoring that has the dyes. Just get it without the flavoring.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaddyBug
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Getting it w/o the dye or flavorings is harder then it sounds. We have a few compounding pharmacies around here & they can only mix certain things. Getting something dye free is not as easy as we would think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PerfectVirgo
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:14 PM
I can only imagine. I'm allergic to berries. Everything berry flavored, even cherry Carmex. I have a pretty plain culinary life. Hopefully you'll find a good middle for her, where she can still enjoy some things.

Quoting CaddyBug:

Yea...nothing fun for her unless I buy it or make it w/special stuff. Its good b/c I don't want her to have all that junk- but still these are the times it gets beyond frustrating!!!

Quoting PerfectVirgo:

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:17 PM
My girls both are allergic (as were my brother and cousin). It's a pain in the ass, but my girls' pedi will prescribe any meds as dye free or a different one (of course, we avoid amoxicillin anyway because my youngest is allergic to penicillin). Usually augmentin is what the girls get if needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaddyBug
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Yea, that, Biaxin & dye free amoxicilin are our options. I'm hoping she grows out of it as my DH did when he was younger.

Quoting beadingmom17:

My girls both are allergic (as were my brother and cousin). It's a pain in the ass, but my girls' pedi will prescribe any meds as dye free or a different one (of course, we avoid amoxicillin anyway because my youngest is allergic to penicillin). Usually augmentin is what the girls get if needed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:43 PM
How old is she?

My brother is now 18. He grew out of the behavioral issues around age 7, but then would get a headache if he had it. Around 12 or 13 all side effects stopped and he's fine with it now. My cousin was about the same (he's 20 now).

My girls are 6 and 4.5.

Quoting CaddyBug:

Yea, that, Biaxin & dye free amoxicilin are our options. I'm hoping she grows out of it as my DH did when he was younger.

Quoting beadingmom17:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaddyBug
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM
she's 5 almost 6. Both of my Inlaws are deceased so I only have what my DH tells me :-(

Quoting beadingmom17:

How old is she?

My brother is now 18. He grew out of the behavioral issues around age 7, but then would get a headache if he had it. Around 12 or 13 all side effects stopped and he's fine with it now. My cousin was about the same (he's 20 now).

My girls are 6 and 4.5.

Quoting CaddyBug:

Quoting beadingmom17:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN