Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

my daughter has flaky hair

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:24 PM
  • 14 Replies

my daughter is 8 her hair gets flaky i gues like dandruff. i help her wash it sometimes so i know shes washing it right. i was brushing it today and she has tiny redish dots on her scalp.. it doesnt itch her or anything. anyone know what it might be and how i can make it go away?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM
I would probably make an appointment with her doctor to make sure it's nothing more serious, but in the meantime, try adding some tea tree oil to her shampoo/conditioner or buying her a tea tree oil shampoo. It will help soothe the scalp
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
evaleesmom
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

cool thanks.. she has an appointment for spring break for a well child visit ill just ask about it then since it doenst bother her. :)

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Is it possible the red dots are bites from lice or fleas?? The flakes could be nits or cast off from bugs. And don't take offense, anyone can get them..... It's not a sign of dirt...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:10 AM

I would try a dry scalp shampoo and see if that helps.   The scalp is flaky not the hair.   Mine used to be really bad until i started dry scalp shampoo.

majesticfairy
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Do you use any type of conditioner or moisturizer?

cjsix
There are many ups and downs through out a marriage and our lives but,if we fight for what we care about most we can make it and find our hearts home <3
Today at 3:02 AM
by faith on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Try mixing baking soda and water and then pouring throughout her hair and massaging her scalp,you can also do the same with apple cider vinegar. Both will help loosen the dry scalp and allow it to be rinsed away. It may take a few times and you want to brush gently but,well a couple times a day. I have eczema and this helped alot. My 14 yr old has been doing this before shampooing and it has helped her dandruff. I just did the baking soda with my 10 yr old as his hair is hitting that preteen greasy all the time mode and even when I washed it (to make sure it was getting done well,it still didn't look clean) ...after using the baking soda and water the other day and letting it sit for a couple minutes then rinsing,his hair looked so much better!

gamelas
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM

please do a lice check

evaleesmom
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:05 PM

i did. i work at a pediatric office and we have had a few patients come in with lice so thats the first thing i thought. she has long hair and likes to wear it down.  i checked pretty intensly lol and i didnt see anything.

Quoting calsmom62:

Is it possible the red dots are bites from lice or fleas?? The flakes could be nits or cast off from bugs. And don't take offense, anyone can get them..... It's not a sign of dirt...

evaleesmom
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Quoting majesticfairy:

Do you use any type of conditioner or moisturizer?

we only use contidioner like once or twice a week.. should she use it more often?  it makes my hair too oily so i rearly use conditioner at all.

justone_jen
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM
You could try not using shampoo, or buying a sulfate-free shampoo.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)