Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

preschool mom nightmare............

Posted by on May. 4, 2007 at 2:27 PM
  • 8 Replies
Today my child got her end of the year progress report and it said that her teacher dosent think that she is ready for kindergarden b/c her blend did not sound right so that makes her concerned well julia my preschooler dosen't have any of her front teeth so how does she expect her to blend she also writes her name juial which I can work with her my question is do you all think i should work with her over the summer to correct the problem which I plan on doing or go ahead and keep her back..
by on May. 4, 2007 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by on May. 4, 2007 at 2:36 PM
My son will be starting preschool in the fall, so I really don't have any experience, yet.  My only thought was if you work with her over the summer, is there a way they can retest her before the school year starts to see if she's made improvements?  If those are the only 2 reasons for holding her back, I would say let her pass to kindergarten and just keep working with her, but I'm not familiar with the "system" either.  Good luck.
by on May. 4, 2007 at 2:45 PM
 My daughter"s preschool teacher suggested to hold my daughter back.I didn't see a problem with it.She was in preschool for 3 years. She is in kindergarten now and is doing excellent!! She is one of the older kids in her class but at least this way she will be older when she graduates! Also, she was more prepared and I knew she was ready!! I would rather have her held back while she's young than to send her and hope she catches on and possibly struggle later. Hope this helps!!
by Kelly on May. 4, 2007 at 3:03 PM
Is it only her speech that gives her teacher concern?  As far as misspelling her name, lots of kids that age do that.  You know your child better than the teacher, do you think she is ready?
by on May. 4, 2007 at 3:07 PM
I would try not to worry much about it, and I would not hold her back. I would work with her on her name some, but I would not drill her about it. I just took my daughter to her screening for Kindergarten and I was told that the main things they are looking for in the children is the ability to count to at least 10, know their colors, shapes, maturity, and they like for the kids to be able to write at least their first name. My daughters name is Maddy, and she can spell it, but when she writes it, she writes MAbby. She has problems with "b" and the "d", but I was told that many children have problems with those two letters and some may do that well into 1st grade. Have you called the elementary school that she will be attending? They should have a day for screening and that would answer a lot of your questions and hopefully ease your mind a bit. Good luck, I think she will do just fine.  Laughing
by on May. 4, 2007 at 3:09 PM

If the teacher was concerned about her writing-she should have been working more with her, that is her job. Also, if your daughter has no front teeth it is kinda difficult to speak correctly. Have your daughter evaluated by the school she will attend Kindergarten at. They'll have a better idea.

by on May. 4, 2007 at 3:21 PM
That is a really tough decision to make.  You are her mom and know her better than anyone.  So follow your instinct.  Take into consideration that if she needs to be held back, better now than later.  It would be harder on her when she is older.  But to me it sounds like a couple of issues you could work on with her over the summer and correct.  I second the mom who asked about having her retested later in the summer.  Just to see how she is doing.  A little one I know had to have tubes put into his ears, his speech was iffy.  But now that he has the tubes and has been having speech he has just improved so fast.  I am not saying she needs tubes, just that with a little work I bet she would improve so quickly.  Kids all develop at different rates.  I have learned one thing through raising my kids, the professionals aren't always right and we have to stand up for our kids.
by on May. 4, 2007 at 5:36 PM
My brother went to a transitional first grade and it only helped him.  He just wasnt ready for first grade.  Now he is a junior in highschool and his recent report card was a's and b's and one a+ in math.  I think its better to do it now when shes young then when she's older and will have to be separated from friends.
by on May. 4, 2007 at 5:43 PM
working with her over the summer is a good ideal how old is she because I never let my kids start kind until they were six I talked to the teacher andprincable both they say kids 5going on six like will be six real soon are the best for k .anyways I would not let that teacher make you feel discouraged.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)