Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Happy and angry at the same time

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:22 AM
  • 10 Replies
I bought a car and it started over hearing a little so I took it into a shop in the town I live which is well known. The first day they charged me to install a new thermostat and diagnose the problem. It didn't get better it actually got worse to the point I had to pull over on the way home. Took it back the next day they put a new radiator in not the problem so they put the old one back in. They went to change the water pump it wasn't broken so I told them to put mine back. I had to pay them 260.00 total for this guessing game. I did keep the thermostat and that visit alone was 107.00...

Well I parked it and waited for my cousin to look at it. He did and they had installed the wrong thermostat and put it in the wrong way. I am furious I paid them 260.00 to install the very first thing wrong. Im taking the thermostat back bc at the very least I want my 10-15 bucks back for it but frankly I think I deserve almost all of my money back except the 60.00 diagnose charge.

Am I wrong? They installed the wrong part and installed it wrong. Any ideas on how to make this fair?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AMDS0304
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Oh wow yes go back and demand all your money back other then the 60.00!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Justine1123
by Justine on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:30 AM
When I demanded they put my old parts back I bc they kept diagnosing it wrong I still had to pay them like 150 to put my parts back in. Normally mechanics pay for there mistakes not the car owner. I'm going to ask for it back but if I don't get it. I'll never recommend them and I'll let everyone know exactly what they did.

Quoting AMDS0304:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMDS0304
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:34 AM
Make sure you tell them you want recommend them and you will tell others what they did. Can't you also report them to the BBB?

Quoting Justine1123:

When I demanded they put my old parts back I bc they kept diagnosing it wrong I still had to pay them like 150 to put my parts back in. Normally mechanics pay for there mistakes not the car owner. I'm going to ask for it back but if I don't get it. I'll never recommend them and I'll let everyone know exactly what they did.

Quoting AMDS0304:

Justine1123
by Justine on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:36 AM
I hadn't thought of that. I will report them thanks.

Quoting AMDS0304:

Make sure you tell them you want recommend them and you will tell others what they did. Can't you also report them to the BBB?

Quoting Justine1123:

Quoting AMDS0304:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMDS0304
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:40 AM
Oh your welcome!! I have never had to report a business before.

Quoting Justine1123:

I hadn't thought of that. I will report them thanks.

Quoting AMDS0304:

Quoting Justine1123:

Quoting AMDS0304:

Neuro
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:41 AM

That sounds like a really shitty shop. Unfortunately, a lot of shops are like that. They see a woman walking in and see dollar signs, more so if she doesn't appear to know anything about cars. Mechanics can be dirty weasels and they often love fixing shit that isn't broken on your car. I'm not a mechanic myself but it would take me MAYBE 20 minutes to figure out whether or not you have an issue with your radiator and water hose. They fucked you royally.

I have Gearheads and racers in my family so I use the shops that they recommend to me ONLY. I made the mistake of deviating and never again. They know my family and they won't fix shit unless it's broken and I specifically ask for it to be fixed. Obviously, your cousin knows cars. Ask him for his recommendation regarding which shop to go to and go there. Good shops are hard to find without knowing people who are into cars so when you find a good shop, STICK TO IT.

pixie-buttercup
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:44 AM

You could also put a bad review on Angie's List. I think you may have to pay to subscribe to that website, but it would be local. More people around your area would see it before using them as their mechanic. 

Justine1123
by Justine on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:47 AM
Im sure that was exactly what it was.

Quoting Neuro:

That sounds like a really shitty shop. Unfortunately, a lot of shops are like that. They see a woman walking in and see dollar signs, more so if she doesn't appear to know anything about cars. Mechanics can be dirty weasels and they often love fixing shit that isn't broken on your car. I'm not a mechanic myself but it would take me MAYBE 20 minutes to figure out whether or not you have an issue with your radiator and water hose. They fucked you royally.

I have Gearheads and racers in my family so I use the shops that they recommend to me ONLY. I made the mistake of deviating and never again. They know my family and they won't fix shit unless it's broken and I specifically ask for it to be fixed. Obviously, your cousin knows cars. Ask him for his recommendation regarding which shop to go to and go there. Good shops are hard to find without knowing people who are into cars so when you find a good shop, STICK TO IT.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zombiemommy7
by mamakels on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Definitely demand your money back. You shouldnt have to pay for poor service/quality. Not to mention they didnt even put the part in properly. The ball is in your field.
boredmom47265
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Just put "My husband" and "Attorney" in the same sentence, and you'll see a miracle..lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)