Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

stuffed animal, is this normal behavior for a Toddler, 3 1/2

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM
  • 95 Replies

hello, i hope everyone is well!

I have a question, any advice is greatly appreciated!

my DS is 3 1/2 since he was 2, he carries around his little stuffed animal elmo and calls him baby elmo. its kind of cute because i gave it to him when he was in the hospital at 15 months as alittle comfort gift  he didnt become very attached to it since about 2, but since then he brings him everywhere, hes always in his hand, when he eats baby elmo is with him, at the doctors, shopping, when we go visit family or friends, when he goes to sleep sometimes i remember to put him in the bed with him sometimes i forget, if he realizes elmo is not with him he panicks and is like wheres baby elmo and goes to find him. i mean i think its natural to an extent, he is still a toddler, my DH is alittle concerned and doesnt like him to bring him in stores or restaurants, and my DS gets upset but then gets over it.

he comes to doctor appts and the pediatrician examines elmo too! lol

i know my pediatrician he wouldnt entertain it if he thought it was an issue

my DS is more than fine, ahead of his milestones, is good in school, is very social and all.

do you think i should be concerned, is this normal behavior?

Thanks in advance!

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JCKitten87
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM
As far as I know it's completely normal and healthy as his age.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
twinners.mama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
It's normal. I wouldn't be worried.
ouchienurse
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
DD has "baby". It's a pink near she got when she was born. She was insanely attatched to it from about a year old. I actually got 3 more so I could wash them without a freak out and we introduced all of them before she was old enough to notice and the all had the same wear and tear, lol. She is now 5 and only needs baby to sleep. About 4 she finally decided it didn't have to be with her every waking moment and that evolved to just bedtime. I think it's normal and he'll eventually grow out of it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SoKamele
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM

We never allowed our son to get attached to one toy. Too much trouble....ESP if it get lost.

KittyTussand
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM
I think its normal. My daughter is 2 1/2and she has a blankie and stuffed animal. I remember me and my sibli gs all had babys. I still sleep with a bear if I upset or going on long trip hubby wont be with me on.
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:08 PM
My son had a 3ft Elmo that we had to talk everywhere he grew out of it around age 3 were able able to down size to a smaller one he was done with Elmo around 4. He's almost 10 now. Its no different than kids with a blanket

They all grow out of it.
Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Mine is a little over 3 and she has these kitties, three of them. They are all the same brand but different colors. At around 15 months she decided they were to be her "thing". Since then these kitties have gone everywhere. They have been to Disneyland, children's hospital several times (they always get the same thing she does, asthma treatments, casts on the legs,etc.), seaworld, airplanes, I mean seriously everywhere. They stopped making them and I had to hunt down the very last one in our area for a back-up.

I think they comfort her and in moments when I can tell she really needs them I am really thankful she has them. They are her best friends and I honestly think that teaches them about caring for something that much. If he reaches high school and is still doing it then it may be time for an intervention, but at three he still needs that comfort.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:12 PM

totally normal. he will grow out of it. in fact taking it away at this age could cause damage just let it be :)

Mama2JoshKatie
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Yes it's normal at his age! I think it's adorable, and how cute and funny that the doctor examined Elmo too. lol With my kids it was their blankies. I thought DS would never give his up. He slept with it until he was six and then just forgot all about it. DD is five and she still sleeps with hers but has recently got to where she doesn't carry it around everywhere.

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:18 PM

It is normal but you should break him of it sooner rather than later. I had to with my son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN