Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How serious are these complications?

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM
  • 3 Replies

A close family member has been admitted to the hospital yesterday for some pregnancy complications. She currently has a little over 2 months left to go (dont know exactly, due some time in may), and found out about a  month or 2 ago that the cord only has 2 vessels. Yesterday she started bleeding heavily and went to the hospital. So far she has just sent a text with a short update. They think the sac is detaching from the uterus, which is causing bleeding, they also gave her meds to stop contractions. They gave her a steroid shot when she was admitted to help the babies lungs just in case they had to deliver. As of last night they said she has to stay in at least 7 days after the bleeding stops. This isn't her first baby, she's had 2 others.

She isn't close enough to go visit right now or we would. She isn't exactly up for talking to a bunch of people and isn't very good at explaining what exactly is going on, so I haven't asked to many questions.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with anything like this? How serious is it? What should we expect? I'm assuming she will probably be on bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy.

I am also putting together a care package to send her while she is in the hospital. Any suggestions of what to put in it?

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
terpmama
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I would put in a book, a little note book and pen (to write notes or questions she wants to ask), a deck of cards, maybe some fun candy/sweets, a cozy pair of socks, hand lotion, an activity book (word jumble, crossword, sudoku...)
CharlotteRose
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Im sorry to hear about your family member, thoughts and prayers are w/her and the baby - she is where she needs to be and sounds like she is in excellent care.  she is probably going to be on bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy.  As for the care package what a thoughtful thing to do!  I would put personal items in there, lotion, books, magazines, dvds, candy if she can have it, i love to journal and maybe buy her a nice journal w/a pen so she can write down her emotions and maybe keep it for her baby to read when they become older? 

Seagodess
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:15 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)