Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Making my 7 year old write senences and definitions. What else can I do??

I am at the end of my rope with my son! He has such a horrid attitude and it has gotten worse over the past few months. At school they learned about bullying. Now if you slightly raise your voice to him he calls you a bully. He had called his teacher this yesterday because she was explaining to him why he was in trouble for taking her crayons off of her desk after she told him no. I tried to explain maybe he misinterpreted the meaning of a bully but just a few minutes ago he called me a bully for making him write sentences as to why his teacher is not a bully and the definition of a bully. He is now writing his teacher an apology letter. I have tried vinegar for smarting off to me and taking away allowances.My 5 year old is picking up on it so now whenever one get in trouble the other rushes to their aid and begins to yell at me saying I am mean and I don't care about them. What else can I do?

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Replies (11-13):
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:51 AM

oh i love it when they load their lips with this stuff

i know what you mean, it's frustrating

try this:

tell him he's old enough to understand what a bully is and what are mean things to say, pick 3 things you want him to stop saying or doing, tell him the next time he says that, he has to go to bed after dinner and homework for 1 whole week, no tv, games, reading in bed, etc.  Straight to bed.

If during that time he utters the banned word or phrase again, the week starts over until he goes an entire week without saying the offending language, being a smart aleck, etc.

if he does it again, start it over, no warnings no threats, just calmly explain what will happen then when he does it, and make no mistake he will do it, follow through

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:00 AM
Have you tried a behavior chart to focus more on good behavior and less focus on the bad? I personally prefer spending less time disciplining and more time on positive reinforcement

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momofJandE0203
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:18 PM
He has been doing much better since. He still has his moments but that gets nipped in the butt quick with just a lookand he apologizes. We sat down and talked about his behavior. I had to explain that I love him but I don't like when he acts like that. His main focus was us not liking him and that's why we have him write sentences and definitions. I almost teared up by the look in his eye.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN