Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should I change his schedule?

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:51 PM
  • 2 Replies

DS is 5, almost 6 and goes to bed usually between 7-7:30pm and it usually takes him a good 30 minutes to actually go to sleep,  sometimes longer if he has to get up to go potty. For some reason he always has to poop at bed time. When he finally does get to sleep he will usually stay a sleep for 11-12hrs. He gets up anywhere between 7-8am most mornings. On days DH and I both work (3-4 days a week), he gets up at 4:30am and I take him to a neighbor's house where he goes back to sleep for a few hours. He has school at 9am, and gets home at 3:30pm. With this schedule there is only about 4 hours a day we get to see him when he gets home. During that time we play, work on homework type stuff, eat dinner and if we have time watch a show or something. Sometimes I feel like we should give him a later bed time so we have more time, but I don't know if that would be good. His body already has him sleeping 11-12 hours, which tells me he needs it. If we put him to bed much later, we would have to wake him up and he wouldn't get as much sleep, especially on days I have to wake him up early. I just don't know if I should sacrifice the amount of sleep he gets in order to have more time to do stuff with him.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Try a later bedtime for a few weeks and see how it goes.
I know all kids are different, but dd is 6 and goes to bed at 9pm and gets up (by herself) at 6:30am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't know why you would want him to sleep less. Sleep is such an important part of his physical and mental health. That would be unacceptable to me.

That's just part of having a child in school, they are there most of the day. But that's why we have weekends, holidays and vacations.

Instead of denying him sleep, I would just take advantage of the time you do have with him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)