Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

my son is scared half to death to go to sleep

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:23 PM
  • 23 Replies
so my youngest son will be 4 in june and is still not going to sleep on his own. he is currently staying up until my husband and i go to bed and its just not working. we dont get any alone time and our bed is getting too small for the 3 of us. i end up getting kicked and head butted. i just bought he and his brother brand new bunk beds and they sleep in the same room. ive got to find a way to make him sleep in his own bed to keep my sanity
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
a06z08mama
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:37 PM
I am working on that too. I don't want to jinx myself. I finally got my two a full size bed. They have their night light and closet light on. I've been sitting in the kitchen which their room is right off. Until I hear no more movement. Two nights and no nightly visitors.
tyrelsmom
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:34 PM
My 3.5 year old comes in our bed EVERY night. She goes to bed in her own bed just fine, but comes in the middle of the night. If I put her back to bed before she falls asleep, she FREAKS OUT. Last night we made her sleep on the floor next to the bed, and that seemed to work. But I'd love to have our room to ourselves.
RoseWall
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:42 PM

sorry you are having this issue. hugs! when i had that problem. i would wake them up earlier and bought them that glowworm snuggle toy. these days its glow pillows and such.

i used to play soothing smooth jazz on the cd player for my little night owls.

to this very day. i still have to put white noise on. and black out ever speck of light to get my youngest to sleep.

hope he gets sleeping soon.

sending positive energy your way.

CharlotteRose
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

what you need to do is this, put him and his bro in their beds, give them each their own favorite toy, sit on the floor in the dark and every time he gets up put him bed, keep doing this over and over every night...each night move a little farther away from his bed and as time goes on you should be almost out the door.. does that make sense? It worked for my dd!!  i made sure she knew i was in the room w/her but i sat on the floor and it made her feel comfort to know that someone was there w/her - she learned how to fall asleep w/out having me next to her body....it took about three days you have to be strict about it and do not give in.... rotate w/your dh just to give you a break.....and then on the night when you finally make it out the door w/out her asking where you and she is asleep make sure you praise her that she fell asleep w/out momma or daddy in the room...it sounds complicated and i hope im explaining myself...

supermom0609
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:17 PM
thats what i used to do and it used to work then somehow or another he got in the habit of staying up until we go to bed and its been going on for.about 6 mths now. he has went to bed in.his bed maybe a handful of times in 6 mths and im pregnant too.so i need to figure something out

Quoting CharlotteRose:

what you need to do is this, put him and his bro in their beds, give them each their own favorite toy, sit on the floor in the dark and every time he gets up put him bed, keep doing this over and over every night...each night move a little farther away from his bed and as time goes on you should be almost out the door.. does that make sense? It worked for my dd!!  i made sure she knew i was in the room w/her but i sat on the floor and it made her feel comfort to know that someone was there w/her - she learned how to fall asleep w/out having me next to her body....it took about three days you have to be strict about it and do not give in.... rotate w/your dh just to give you a break.....and then on the night when you finally make it out the door w/out her asking where you and she is asleep make sure you praise her that she fell asleep w/out momma or daddy in the room...it sounds complicated and i hope im explaining myself...

opinionatedmom
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM

sleepy time tea.

connie45
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:31 PM
My older girl did this till she was 4 1/2 yrs old. I had a newborn and couldn't take it anymore. I made a bed on the pitch towels, blankets, pillow, showed it to,my daughter and told her "if you come to me bed tonight, I will take you out to the porch to sleep." Of course she did and I dragged her crying to the porch. She begged and promised to stay in,her bed. She did and never, ever came back to my bed. I made that porch bed every night for a week and showed it to,her, to reinforce that I was dead serious. Sounds quite mean, but it worked. She is now almost 11 and still knows that I mean what I say.
TAG_ur_it
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM

we have a recliner in our room.  DD sleeps there most nights.  she's shared a room since she was born.  she now shares with SD but SD is only here for school breaks.  we've finally gotten DD where she'll sleep in the chair instead of in the bed with us, though sometimes we let her cuddle. 

iHEAVENn
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Our son is 5 it has been a nightmare trying to get him to sleep in his own room... here is a list of the following things we have tried

Story time before bed

Snuggles

Dream catcher

Dream light

Pillow animal light thing

Christmas lights

Night light

He has picked out his own bed sheets

I've made a rag quilt just for his bed

and finally we just moved our dog into his room... lol. 

CharlotteRose
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:48 PM

i dont know hun, that is how i got my dd to sleep on her own and stay in her own bed....

Quoting supermom0609:

thats what i used to do and it used to work then somehow or another he got in the habit of staying up until we go to bed and its been going on for.about 6 mths now. he has went to bed in.his bed maybe a handful of times in 6 mths and im pregnant too.so i need to figure something out

Quoting CharlotteRose:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)