Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

my son is scared half to death to go to sleep

Posted by   + Show Post
so my youngest son will be 4 in june and is still not going to sleep on his own. he is currently staying up until my husband and i go to bed and its just not working. we dont get any alone time and our bed is getting too small for the 3 of us. i end up getting kicked and head butted. i just bought he and his brother brand new bunk beds and they sleep in the same room. ive got to find a way to make him sleep in his own bed to keep my sanity
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
trainlady
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:18 AM

What is he doing in the day that is disturbing his night time routine? Is he playing video games with a lot of violence in them? Is he watching tv with violent shows? What is his day like? Has he always been this way from a newborn baby? Sounds to me like something is hanging over from his day and scaring the hell out of him if he shuts his eyes. He should not be sleeping in your bed, but I do understand the need to get him to sleep. If you can handle it try for a week or so with your husband sleeping in one of the bunk beds. Then do it a week yourself. Then take him into the bunkbeds and sleep with him. Let the other child sleep in your bed for a week or in a sleeping bag until your little one settles down that all beds in the house are safe and investigate what is happening in his daily life.

ameraznkimko
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Oh I know how you feel..my son did the same thing..he is six and still gave me a hard time..he wanted to sleep with my in my bed because he didn't want to be alone..he would cry and cry and beg and I would always give in..problem is I'm cosleeping with my baby and he moves around a lot and he smacks his mouth when he sleeps so I get no sleep..you have to be really persistent..I also starting putting an essential oil blend called peace and calming on the bottom of his feet and it helps calm him down enough to sleep..don't give up
supermom0609
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM
no he does not.play any video games let alone with violence in them and the only channel he can watch on tv is disney jr. i have reassured him there is nothing to be scared of but yet he is still scared.

Quoting trainlady:

What is he doing in the day that is disturbing his night time routine? Is he playing video games with a lot of violence in them? Is he watching tv with violent shows? What is his day like? Has he always been this way from a newborn baby? Sounds to me like something is hanging over from his day and scaring the hell out of him if he shuts his eyes. He should not be sleeping in your bed, but I do understand the need to get him to sleep. If you can handle it try for a week or so with your husband sleeping in one of the bunk beds. Then do it a week yourself. Then take him into the bunkbeds and sleep with him. Let the other child sleep in your bed for a week or in a sleeping bag until your little one settles down that all beds in the house are safe and investigate what is happening in his daily life.

EvilAsh
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Make him get in his own bed.

StillTheWine-O
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM

My 4 year old son comes into our room almost every single night at some point. =/

Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:18 PM
I'm that horrible mom that just put her kid in his bed and let him cry. He cried himself to sleep every night for a week but has slept through the night ever since. I tried everything else first, letting him freak out everynight until he realized nothing was going to happen is the.only thing that worked.
theresaphilly
by Theresa on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM

My kids are like that, I even woke up one morning and my 11and 9 year old was sleeping on the floor at the foot of our bed. Now they want to co-sleep, but when they were younger neither would not have no part of it. So far my twin 2 year olds are staying in their beds.

supermom0609
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:22 PM
2 moms liked this
i think what im gonna do is get him a cot and if he wants to sleep in our room fine but he is not sleeping in our bed he will sleep on the cot.
BEXi
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I just kept putting my boys back into their bed. It was frustrating because they would BOTH crawl into bed..

Its all about consistency. Keep putting them back each and every time. You might lose a night or two of sleep- but it pays off in the long run.

BEXi
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I personally wouldnt reason with my child. I would just be firm and consistant about him sleeping in his own room and his own bed like a "big boy". Maybe a nightlight might help if he says he is scared? A new COOL blanket might persuade him to stay in his bed.

I bought my kids each a bed set of their favorite cartoon/super hero and it really helped them come to terms with the fact that they have their own bed to sleep in now.

Quoting supermom0609:

i think what im gonna do is get him a cot and if he wants to sleep in our room fine but he is not sleeping in our bed he will sleep on the cot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)