Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If your child is bipolar,has mental issues or any other diagnosis?EDIT

Posted by   + Show Post

When were they diagnose? did you notice something different on your child from day one? how are you handling their daily life?

Thank you moms who have answered and told me a bit about your life. I stand by my opinion you are all amazing cause kids in general are hard to deal with. You need the patience of a angel to deal with a kid with disabilities. And thats what you are to me angels.I know lots of you have used medication as last resort and your kids have gone through extensive treatments before getting a diagnosis. But its scary how much mental illness is around now a days. Ounce again moms thank you and God bless the great work you do.

FYI: DD is does not have issues, im just asking is all.

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Replies (11-20):
hip2it
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

My nine year old was recently diagnosed with severe depression.  They're thinking he has Bipolar 2, like me, but they don't want to slap a label on him ASAP when he's doing so well in therapy so far.

I noticed he wasn't as happy as normal kids, starting when he was 7.  He had moodswings from happy to really sad really quickly seemingly over nothing at all.  We thought it was stress from his absent father and stepmother suddenly being back in the picture full time, combined with some bullying in school.  At the beginning of December he threatened to stab himself in the chest, kill himself, with a 10" kitchen knife.  We sought professional help immediately.  He seemed to escalate sooo quickly with that episode.

He's in therapy once a week.  He goes more often if he feels like he needs to.  He's come a long way in a short time.  He is not medicated.  We don't go easier on him at home (the world is not going to go easier on him when he is an adult), but we do pay extra attention to everything.  I think we discuss things more than "normal" families do.  We are much more in tune with each other as a precaution.  Day-to-day life hasn't really changed much.  DS has to be spoken to differently than the other children, but all children are different in that way.

I do feel bad, because while there is no hardcore proof that I have passed my Bipolar 2 on to DS, there is some research that shows it may be passed on from parent to child.  I wasn't diagnosed until well into my twenties, and was a very miserable child, teenager, and young adult.  I don't want that for my child, but that's the hand we've been dealt.  DS is our oldest so we do watch out for warning signs from the younger two, just in case.  It's not easy to deal with, it never is, but what wouldn't I do for my child?

.betty.white.
by bilf on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM

My sister has ODD.  She was adopted and things happened in a previous foster home, plus what she went through with her bio family is why.  We knew from day one when we got her, it was blairringly obvious, she was 4 I think.  Even though she has this I'm so glad she is with our family, I'm not sure it would have been easy for another to take a destructive kid and love her unconditionally.  She has came so far but still needs so much more help.  She takes her medication in the morning, without it, she can become violent and destructive.  Until it kicks in, it can be hard.  Recently she went through a growth spurt and her medication wasn't metabolizing correctly and it was horrible.  BUT, when she is good, she is GOOD, when she is bad she is BAD. 

I'm afraid that later she will be diagnosed with more.  Its almost like she is bipolar.  We can be hanging out and having a great time then something snaps and next thing I know she is in a rage.  Its so difficult on my parents and I make sure that I'm always there to help out whenever they need.  

But, like I said, she has come a long way!  Her episodes used to happen once or twice a day.  Now they are down to once a week with small ones every other day.  

She is such a hand full but man, we love her so much and wouldn't have her any other way!

I'm not sure if this answers your questions.  If you have anything else specific to ask, let me know....  I'm an open book she has taught me so many life lessons in patients!  She is 8 now, BTW!

ausomezombie2.0
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM

my sd has several dxs including bipolar odd aspergers and anxiety. shes had issues all her life. she is 8

.betty.white.
by bilf on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM

One last thing- At least with my sister the most important thing we've learned is to be her medical advocate and always be sure to get her her medication first thing in the morning!  Always demand the doctor listen to you and do what you need (like referrals etc).  But NEVER forget the medication.

lasombrs
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Child Health Services, which is the name of the place but not the same as the government run agency. Not sure why they call it that. they had 3 people monitor and talk with my son for 2 hours then talked to each other for 45 minutes and then came back with their diagnosis. There was a developmental pedi, a behaviorist, and a psychologist at the same time

http://www.childhealthservices.org/

Our son was born with some issues so he was in services at 18 months. They picked up on the other problems and suggested to have him tested further.

Its not easy :/ our kids are only 21 months apart and although the baby so far seems to be developing normally all she sees is her older brother's behavior and picks up on it so its basically like I have two special needs kids but only one really is :/ We are doing our best to break her of it but its hard when ds needs all the attention he already needs to try to keep her away from it at the same time

kaylasmom22
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Quoting Hethrjo:

My SD has R.A.D.  It's a very hard situation.  She was just diagnosed and she's 8 years old.  Our counselor wants us to have her evaluated because she thinks she may have something else.  Her biological mother's bipolar, so there's that chance.  It's a very hard situation in our lives but I'm determined to work with her and help her understand herself, just as much as I need to understand her.  Compassion is the best tool you'll have.  I have this book that I just bought, our counselor told me it helped her A LOT and it's helping me sooooo much.  It's called "The Connected Child"  BUY IT!!!!!!!!

Sorry I should have been more clear,DD thanks God has no issues I just wanted to ask. I have seen shows about it and many post here so I was just wondering.

deadlights86
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Ds has adhd odd and sensory issues he also shows classic signs of autism. I noticed something wrong and brought it up at his 3 year check up his doctor told me he was normal and totally blew me off. He didn't get diagnosed till he started school and went to a different doctor. His current doctor said if his formar pedi would have been paying attention ds could have recieved much needed help alot sooner.

kaylasmom22
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Quoting T1DKyMom:

My 8 year old son was recently diagnosed with severe anxiety.  I knew there was something going on because he was constantly complaining of pain in his stomach, back, neck, head, arms, legs, feet, everything.  I took him to his pedi and she could not find anything physically wrong with him. At that time we took him to a mental health facility and they gave him, me, and his teacher some tests to fill out.  He scored so high for all the markers for anxiety and some depression.  He is now on medication and doing so much better.  His confidence and energy are way up.

Was he antisocial? because I had depression and I never had body aches just tired all the time.

zoo003
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

My 10 year old ds is diagnosed with mood disorder (bipolar), autistic spectrum, and anxiety disorder.  He is our 3rd child and we knew very early on that something was "different" with him.  By the time he was 1, we had him in various therapies, seeing a psychiatrist and psychologist, in an early intervention program, in behavior modification therapies, etc.  When he was little, he was very violent.  He could not handle noise and stimulus that others could and acted out due to those.  By the time he was 3, he was an ultra rapid cycler and would go from manic where he was having auditory/visual hallucinations to depressive where he was actively trying to kill himself.  Many times he would go from telling us that the aliens in our house were telling him to kill us or begging us to not let the spiders that were all over the walls and ceiling to get get him to getting out of any car seat we put him in and trying to either attack me or try to open the car door and throw himself out in traffic (needless to say, we always kept all of the child locks on the car doors).  By 5 years old, we were having to make the heart wrenching decision as to whether we should hospitalize him or not.  However, through medication, countless therapies, much testing (ekg, mri, eeg, genetics, allergy, etc), different diets (didn't work though), a wonderful psychiatrist and psychologist, an amazing school system that worked with him (can't say enough for his teachers throughout the years-he is in 5th grade), us working with him, and a whole lot of work on his part, he is pretty much like any other child.  Does he still have ups and downs?  Yes, but we work through them.  Does he have accommodations that allow him to be successful?  Yes he does.  However, overall, right now, we have more good days than bad days.:) 

kaylasmom22
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Quoting HyperMom38:

My DD has ADD, and yes- I kind of had a feeling from about the 12-18 month mark that she was not as calm as other peoples kids and suspected that she would be diagnosed with ADD/ADHD.  Her dad appears to have ADHD as does my mother, but they are both undiagnosed.  I may have noticed sooner than some because I got my degree in K-12 Art Education and recognizing the signs and symptoms of ADD/ADHD and other learning dissabilities was part of our training.  As far as how I am handling her daily life... I just keep it as normal as possible.  She needs firm consistent discipline.  I have to help her find focus when her mind is going a mile a minute.  When she is 6, if she continues to have "issues" in school the doctor has offered to try meds and see if that helps.  Most of her issues are around not listening to her teacher the first time- the teacher has to repeat herself over and over to get DD to focus and respond which is pretty typical.  Thankfully, girls for some reason are usually able to self modify their behavior when they have ADD/ ADHD and don't require as much meds as the boys do according to my ped.

Now that you mention knowing the symptoms early we (me and some other family members) think my niece has something but we don't know what. She is 2 and I know all kids are hyper but the takes the cake lol. I can't spend more than 10 mins with her without getting a headache, she eats everything(her crib, hair pieces, her own hair you can't get her a doll with hair cause she eats it, tv control, shoes, stroller) you name it she eats it, she doesn't understand the word NO or DONT TOUCH. Even DD who is 6 asks to leave when we are around her cause she says she is driving her crazy. But her pedi told her she needs to wait until5 to be diagnose 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN