Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If your child is bipolar,has mental issues or any other diagnosis?EDIT

Posted by   + Show Post

When were they diagnose? did you notice something different on your child from day one? how are you handling their daily life?

Thank you moms who have answered and told me a bit about your life. I stand by my opinion you are all amazing cause kids in general are hard to deal with. You need the patience of a angel to deal with a kid with disabilities. And thats what you are to me angels.I know lots of you have used medication as last resort and your kids have gone through extensive treatments before getting a diagnosis. But its scary how much mental illness is around now a days. Ounce again moms thank you and God bless the great work you do.

FYI: DD is does not have issues, im just asking is all.

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Replies (31-40):
deadlights86
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM

He has alot of sensory issues doesn't like being touched and goes through cycles of obbsession . He also shows almost every sign of childhood bipolar we are waiting to get into childrens hospital to have him evaluated.

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

Quoting deadlights86:

Ds has adhd odd and sensory issues he also shows classic signs of autism. I noticed something wrong and brought it up at his 3 year check up his doctor told me he was normal and totally blew me off. He didn't get diagnosed till he started school and went to a different doctor. His current doctor said if his formar pedi would have been paying attention ds could have recieved much needed help alot sooner.

What signs of autism have you noticed? Jayson has adhd and odd along with emotional dysregulation and mood disorder. I worry that he may be misdiagnosed. I am going to have him re evaluated but we're dealing with an insurance issue right now

T1DKyMom
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM

No he's not antisocial at all.  He is very much the opposite.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Quoting T1DKyMom:

My 8 year old son was recently diagnosed with severe anxiety.  I knew there was something going on because he was constantly complaining of pain in his stomach, back, neck, head, arms, legs, feet, everything.  I took him to his pedi and she could not find anything physically wrong with him. At that time we took him to a mental health facility and they gave him, me, and his teacher some tests to fill out.  He scored so high for all the markers for anxiety and some depression.  He is now on medication and doing so much better.  His confidence and energy are way up.

Was he antisocial? because I had depression and I never had body aches just tired all the time.

emarin77
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

My son was diagnosed with mild Autism at age 3 but me and my family knew something was up soon after he was born.  He would not cradle, not take my breast.  As he got older would line up his toy cars.  Spoke very early, 10 months saying "Go, go, go."  If any behavior that is not helping a child to grow lasts more then 6 months, a diagnosis can be made.

Jamie1972
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM

my oldest was dx at 2.5 w/ epilepsy,at 5 with aggressive behaviour disorder, 7 with pdd-nos and at 9 borderline mentally retarded. knew at  a young age he was different,just in denial as to why or what.

boppysmom2007
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM

My son has ADHD ADD and fine motor delay we knew something was off at about 2 he wasnt diagnosed till nov of 2012 and is almost 6 we are new to this so we arnt handling it well at alll

la_bella_vita
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Bump!

luckysevenwow
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest is bi-polar and when unmedicated has psychosis (can never spell that). It was sudden and out of left field when he was 17 and a senior in high school. He already has some learning disabilities (currently looking into autism actually). It was so bad we had to pull him out of school for the second half of the year. The school was great and trying to help anyway they could. They placed him as homeschooled so he could come back the following year, which he did, and walked out with his diploma.

He isn't 100% back to his old self but he is close, and has to have his med's or it get's unbelievably bad. Thankfully he is OCD about them. Never misses and never has to be told. He is 21 now.

zadesmom1998
by Breezy on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Ds 15 wad diagnosed adhd at 6, social anxiety at 8, bipolar at 11 and aspergers at 13. The worst diagnosis was the bipolar diagnosis. He spent 10 days in a psych Ward it was sad and traumatic for all of us.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kaylasmom22
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM
I'm sure its hard mama,but from what I have read here through the years it gets better. It just takes time getting use to it. *hugs*

Quoting boppysmom2007:

My son has ADHD ADD and fine motor delay we knew something was off at about 2 he wasnt diagnosed till nov of 2012 and is almost 6 we are new to this so we arnt handling it well at alll

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anoronlight
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM

My daughter was diagnosed last year in May (at the time she was age 9) with PDD:NOS (Autism), ADHD, SLD, Anxiety and Depression. We knew there was something going on for years, at least I suspected something was wrong. However no one would help me figure that out, I was just told she was a bad kid and I was a bad mom. Then I got an advocate and we got the testing done and found out the reasons.

It's a hard thing to deal with and we are trying to learn the best way to help her cope, its not easy. I am getting her services lined but the biggest thing is at this point in her life every decision DH and I make, every choice we make will decide what her future will be like. Since we have found out so late, we are at a point where we have no more room for mistakes. So its pretty stressful, but I keep moving because giving my daughter the best means putting my ego, pride and feelings aside and just trying to do what's best right here and now and hopefully everything will work itself out.

Right now she's a 5 year old trapped in a 10 year old body and she's a 5th grade almost 6th grader working at a 2nd/3rd grade level. So its a daily struggle for her and for us. But I always remind myself, no matter how hard it is for me, its 1000 times harder for her and she knows what's going on, whether she understands or not is a different story.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN