Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

DD's doc says she's fat!! **pic** EDITED

Posted by   + Show Post

Well, not in so many words...she had her 6 yr well visit yesterday. Her height was 47" and weight is 50lbs. The nurse practitioner looks up her bmi and says it's 16 and that it's "a bit high for her age" then continues on about watching her caloric intake to lower her weight. Wait...WHAT??!!

She's a gymnast-works out 3x's a week and spends the rest of her free time on her trampoline, skating, bike riding or practicing her routines. She is already a health nut and only has occasional treats. Besides all that...SHE'S NOT FAT!!!

UGH...sorry, had to vent! lol I don't have blinders on, right?? My kid doesn't look overweight, does she?

ETA: I just looked at web MD's bmi calculator for kids (I know, we MD isn't the best but I wanted an idea) and it says healthy range is 5-85...that's a big span! And she's 15.9, how is that high?? Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Replies (11-20):
Ktina11
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree that BMI calculation is way slanted in kids. I have had the talk from a NP about ods. He is 5, 43lbs, and 42.5 inches. Technically he is on the high end of normal. Since I am obese, they assume he will be also even though the way I feed him is entirely different than how my mother fed me. Kids grow at strange rates....personally I don't get how the height/weight calculation can be accurate during childhood.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iluvsn85
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Shes not fat. Muscle weighs more then fat, she looks toned!
iluvsn85
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM
By the way shes a cutie!
tansyflower
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:56 AM

you daughter looks really muscular to me!  but not overweight :)

bebe_ju-rah
by I Ate The Rainbow on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Thank you :)

Quoting iluvsn85:

By the way shes a cutie!
bebe_ju-rah
by I Ate The Rainbow on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:59 AM
This was the NP, not her ped and the first time in 6 years she has ever even met this woman. I wanted to call today and tell her dr what the NP said but dh said to just ignore her and drop it. Damn him! Lol

Quoting TheMrs407:

She's muscular. If your doctor can't make noticeable exceptions I would find a new doctor.
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:59 AM

What? They tell me my 6 year old is underweight at 47lbs?? LOL

She looks like a solid child, I'm sure gymnastics has a lot to do with that. Keep doing what you're doing and ignore all the "she's fat" talk unless she starts to look unhealthy.

bebe_ju-rah
by I Ate The Rainbow on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Thank you, she is very muscular. I'm jealous of her abs! Lol!

DH said maybe kids aren't "supposed" to be muscular and that's why the bmi is high...idk.

Quoting tansyflower:

you daughter looks really muscular to me!  but not overweight :)

bebe_ju-rah
by I Ate The Rainbow on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Really?? Lol How tall is your 6 year old?

Quoting IncognitoOne:

What? They tell me my 6 year old is underweight at 47lbs?? LOL

She looks like a solid child, I'm sure gymnastics has a lot to do with that. Keep doing what you're doing and ignore all the "she's fat" talk unless she starts to look unhealthy.

LoveMyLos
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM
I wouldve told the dr they need more accurate charts, or get some glasses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)