Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

DD's doc says she's fat!! **pic** EDITED

Posted by   + Show Post

Well, not in so many words...she had her 6 yr well visit yesterday. Her height was 47" and weight is 50lbs. The nurse practitioner looks up her bmi and says it's 16 and that it's "a bit high for her age" then continues on about watching her caloric intake to lower her weight. Wait...WHAT??!!

She's a gymnast-works out 3x's a week and spends the rest of her free time on her trampoline, skating, bike riding or practicing her routines. She is already a health nut and only has occasional treats. Besides all that...SHE'S NOT FAT!!!

UGH...sorry, had to vent! lol I don't have blinders on, right?? My kid doesn't look overweight, does she?

ETA: I just looked at web MD's bmi calculator for kids (I know, we MD isn't the best but I wanted an idea) and it says healthy range is 5-85...that's a big span! And she's 15.9, how is that high?? Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Replies (21-30):
katzmeow726
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Actually she looks muscular.  That's probably why her weight is a little higher.  The BMI chart is worthless, I don't understand why people still refer to it, because it doesn't take muscle in to account.

the4mutts
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:06 AM
3 moms liked this
Omg! That is one BUFF kid! Lmao
She is the most "in shape" child I have ever seen!
Ignore those moronic BMI charts, that kid looks kick-ass!
NESmith63
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I'd hate to see what she said about my son! He is almost 8, 51in and 75lbs!

My doc said he is healthy and fine. He has always been big and he only looks chubby at most....not fat

Your daughter looks great! She has that solid muscular build of a gymnast
gizmo538
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:07 AM

They said the opposite for my DD. She's 2, tall and she looks healthy. Yet, they're telling me that she needs to gain weight but didn't put me on any plan. So, I'm just supposed to guess at how much weight she needs to gain even though she already looks perfectly fine?

Your DD looks great, btw :)

qslaqhay
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:08 AM
U might want to change Drs.
Autumn19
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:09 AM
hmm my ds is 50lbs and is really short my dr doesnt even mention those charts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miller0305
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat... a pound is a pound whether it's apples or feathers. Muscle is denser than fat so it takes more of it to fill up a space than fat.

Quoting BabyGsMommy11:

Muscle weighs way more than fat. Don't trust a chart (but I know nothing when it comes to this).

lovelychaos13
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:10 AM

no, she actually looks more muscular and buff than most her age, also looks taller than most 6 yr olds i see. they clearly arent taking into account just how much physical activity she does weekly

dommad2
by Tamara on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Those charts are stupid. Did they use the calibrated BMI tool.... Doesn't sound like it. The chart is an initial indicator that tells them to look at the child. Once looking at the child all concern would be dropped
ginnyk87
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Ugh, no she's not fat! I know two year olds that are 40 pounds!! You have nothing to worry about! I'd be finding a new doctor!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)