Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

DD's doc says she's fat!! **pic** EDITED

Posted by   + Show Post

Well, not in so many words...she had her 6 yr well visit yesterday. Her height was 47" and weight is 50lbs. The nurse practitioner looks up her bmi and says it's 16 and that it's "a bit high for her age" then continues on about watching her caloric intake to lower her weight. Wait...WHAT??!!

She's a gymnast-works out 3x's a week and spends the rest of her free time on her trampoline, skating, bike riding or practicing her routines. She is already a health nut and only has occasional treats. Besides all that...SHE'S NOT FAT!!!

UGH...sorry, had to vent! lol I don't have blinders on, right?? My kid doesn't look overweight, does she?

ETA: I just looked at web MD's bmi calculator for kids (I know, we MD isn't the best but I wanted an idea) and it says healthy range is 5-85...that's a big span! And she's 15.9, how is that high?? Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Replies (31-40):
AllofFive19
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Tell the doc to stuff it.

SP_Mama
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:18 AM
She doesn't look fat all. She looks like she has muscle. My son is 6 and weighs 50 lbs and he's a bean pole at 48 inches.
xtriciax
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:19 AM

they dont take into consideration the muscle content of ppl on those charts she is def not overweight she is very muscular.  ilove seeing other kids age and height... my dd is 2 and half and 39in she is gonna be a tall one. 

bebe_ju-rah
Thank you! They don't seem very accurate...

Quoting indymom72:

honestly, I can't believe people still even take those stupid charts into account.  Your daughter looks healthy and strong and in amazing shape.

lovelife350

your daughter is also taller then the average 6 years old. no she is not fat, was this the nurse or the docs? 

Master_Debater
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
The expression comes from if you had a square inch of fat and a square inch of muscle, the muscle would weigh more. Just as a bucket of bricks weigh more than that same bucket of feathers.

Quoting Miller0305:

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat... a pound is a pound whether it's apples or feathers. Muscle is denser than fat so it takes more of it to fill up a space than fat.

Quoting BabyGsMommy11:

Muscle weighs way more than fat. Don't trust a chart (but I know nothing when it comes to this).

Master_Debater
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:21 AM
That's what I was thinking.

Quoting dommad2:

Those charts are stupid. Did they use the calibrated BMI tool.... Doesn't sound like it. The chart is an initial indicator that tells them to look at the child. Once looking at the child all concern would be dropped
Master_Debater
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Also, my son is 49 inches and about 65 lbs, his doc has never mentioned his weight.
LoveTragedyFun
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I don't think she looks fat at all, very toned and athletic actually.

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:23 AM
My dd's doc recently told me to keep an eye on her weight. She is 6, 50", and 58lbs. She has always been in the 90% and now she is up to the 95%.
The "issue" with that is, I can see all her ribs and her spine.
So I know she's not fat. Like your daughter, she is muscular.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN