Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

DD's doc says she's fat!! **pic** EDITED

Posted by   + Show Post

Well, not in so many words...she had her 6 yr well visit yesterday. Her height was 47" and weight is 50lbs. The nurse practitioner looks up her bmi and says it's 16 and that it's "a bit high for her age" then continues on about watching her caloric intake to lower her weight. Wait...WHAT??!!

She's a gymnast-works out 3x's a week and spends the rest of her free time on her trampoline, skating, bike riding or practicing her routines. She is already a health nut and only has occasional treats. Besides all that...SHE'S NOT FAT!!!

UGH...sorry, had to vent! lol I don't have blinders on, right?? My kid doesn't look overweight, does she?

ETA: I just looked at web MD's bmi calculator for kids (I know, we MD isn't the best but I wanted an idea) and it says healthy range is 5-85...that's a big span! And she's 15.9, how is that high?? Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Replies (391-400):
SueMNanaMama
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:46 PM

That's not a fat kid.  I echo what others said about fat vs. muscle and BMI charts.

rstuart66
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM

She looks perfectly healthy.  You may want a new pediatrician is he is pushing a diet for an active child.

babie113
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:16 AM
I think shes fine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM

The same volume of muscle weights more than the same volume of fat...DUH 

She did not say a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat.

Quoting Miller0305:

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat... a pound is a pound whether it's apples or feathers. Muscle is denser than fat so it takes more of it to fill up a space than fat.

Quoting BabyGsMommy11:

Muscle weighs way more than fat. Don't trust a chart (but I know nothing when it comes to this).

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM

No her clarification is not "still off". It is your thinking that is off. A tablespoon of muscle is going to weight more than a tablespoon of fat. That is a fact.

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

your clarification is still off, a pound is a pound, the same as a tablespoon is a tablespoon........its the same either way you put it............its easier to just say that muscle takes up LESS SPACE then fat, which explains why someone who weighs 135 with no muscle tone can appear "fat" or "flabby" while someone who is the same height and has more muscle tone can weigh 140 and be a smaller size and look smaller.

Quoting BabyGsMommy11:

Muscle weighs way more than fat. Don't trust a chart (but I know nothing when it comes to this).

***Let me clarify since 30 people have gotten their panties in a wad over this statement. A pound is a pound period, but when speaking about fat vs. muscle - a tablespoon of fat weighs less than a tablespoon of muscle. I should have explained it refering to density instead of weight. My bad CM, my bad.***

Needless to say - she is very muscular. She is not fat.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:38 AM

She did not say a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat. She is talking about the same volume of muscle is going to weigh more than the same volume of fat. I can't believe there are people like you who see the word "pound" where it doesn't exist.

Quoting AM-BRAT:

10 lbs of muscle is the same as 10lbs of fat.

Lbs are lbs are lbs are lbs.

I can't believe people still think this.

Muscle is leaner looking, more compact therefore maybe more dense in that 10 lbs is in a smaller package than 10 lbs of fat but it doesn't 'weigh more.'

Quoting BabyGsMommy11:

rmfanfgljf
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM
How so, weight is the same no matter how you put it, a table spoon of fat is going to look like a large Orange while a tablespoon of muscle will look like a grape, but they both weight the same, it is fact that a tablespoon is a tablespoon, and a pound is a pound it is also fact THAT MUSCLE TAKES UP LESS SPACE THEN FAT, but also that a pound of muscle will weigh the same as a pound of fat........my thinking is not off. But I am not going to sit here and argue with someone who doesn't get it.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

No her clarification is not "still off". It is your thinking that is off. A tablespoon of muscle is going to weight more than a tablespoon of fat. That is a fact.

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

your clarification is still off, a pound is a pound, the same as a tablespoon is a tablespoon........its the same either way you put it............its easier to just say that muscle takes up LESS SPACE then fat, which explains why someone who weighs 135 with no muscle tone can appear "fat" or "flabby" while someone who is the same height and has more muscle tone can weigh 140 and be a smaller size and look smaller.

Quoting BabyGsMommy11:

***Let me clarify since 30 people have gotten their panties in a wad over this statement. A pound is a pound period, but when speaking about fat vs. muscle - a tablespoon of fat weighs less than a tablespoon of muscle. I should have explained it refering to density instead of weight. My bad CM, my bad.***

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Tablespoons are volume not weight. A tablespoon of fat and a tablespoon or muscle are going to be the same size. You are the one not getting it.

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

How so, weight is the same no matter how you put it, a table spoon of fat is going to look like a large Orange while a tablespoon of muscle will look like a grape, but they both weight the same, it is fact that a tablespoon is a tablespoon, and a pound is a pound it is also fact THAT MUSCLE TAKES UP LESS SPACE THEN FAT, but also that a pound of muscle will weigh the same as a pound of fat........my thinking is not off. But I am not going to sit here and argue with someone who doesn't get it.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

Quoting BabyGsMommy11:

ThinkAgainMom
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Young children who are overweight carry too much weight (in the form of fat) around their trunk.  Your daughter's trunk looks lean and fit!  Her legs look muscular, more muscular than the average 50 lb child.  That density will cause her to weigh more.  My DD has a friend who is a competitive ice skater.  She looks a lot like your daughter and she is a BRICK!  I cannot imagine what her BMI is.

Next time you go to the doctor, ask the NP to do a situp contest with your daughter :).  And BTW - you know that an NP is not a doctor, she's a nurse, reading from a chart.

RADmomma
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM

She is beautiful and far from fat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)