Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

DD's doc says she's fat!! **pic** EDITED

Posted by   + Show Post

Well, not in so many words...she had her 6 yr well visit yesterday. Her height was 47" and weight is 50lbs. The nurse practitioner looks up her bmi and says it's 16 and that it's "a bit high for her age" then continues on about watching her caloric intake to lower her weight. Wait...WHAT??!!

She's a gymnast-works out 3x's a week and spends the rest of her free time on her trampoline, skating, bike riding or practicing her routines. She is already a health nut and only has occasional treats. Besides all that...SHE'S NOT FAT!!!

UGH...sorry, had to vent! lol I don't have blinders on, right?? My kid doesn't look overweight, does she?

ETA: I just looked at web MD's bmi calculator for kids (I know, we MD isn't the best but I wanted an idea) and it says healthy range is 5-85...that's a big span! And she's 15.9, how is that high?? Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Replies (41-50):
JLo1486
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:23 AM
If your child is fat, then I must be Jesus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaylawv2
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Get a new Dr. They are idiots.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

bmi does not take into account muscle mass, bone density or bone mass.  its actually one of the stupidest ways to try to measure a persons overall weight/health.  i have known body builders that were OBESE according to their bmi, even though in reality they had 3-6% body fat according to caliper testing.

if the girl has a 6 pack then she cant be overweight plain and simple.  that type of muscle tone will not show through fat and you actually have to have a pretty low body fat % in order to see them!

i am willing to bet that she had very dense bones (from all the weight bearing exercise she is doing), has a more solid bone structure and has a ton of muscles which weigh quite a bit.  all those things together will increase her bmi.  forget that number.  it means nothing.

she is fit as a fiddle!!!  no worries mama :)

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

Thank you, she is very muscular. I'm jealous of her abs! Lol!

DH said maybe kids aren't "supposed" to be muscular and that's why the bmi is high...idk.

Quoting tansyflower:

you daughter looks really muscular to me!  but not overweight :)

coala
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Not at all.  I don't think that crazy person was taking into account that muscle weighs more than fat.  Keep doing a great job Momma!!!!

Rach0307
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Not even close! It sounds like that np just looked at a chart (that can't distinguish between muscle and fat) without actually looking at your daughter.

robbinsroost
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:26 AM

My DS was 47 in and 52lbs at his last well check. I was told he was overweight. I just shook my head and said we would watch his diet. My DS is in no way overweight. You can see his ribs when his shirt is off!

I don't buy into the whole BMI chart. I think it is grossly flawed.

Miller0305
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:27 AM

That's because of density not weight.  It is incorrect to say muscle weighs more than fat because it doesn't.

Quoting Master_Debater:

The expression comes from if you had a square inch of fat and a square inch of muscle, the muscle would weigh more. Just as a bucket of bricks weigh more than that same bucket of feathers.

Quoting Miller0305:

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat... a pound is a pound whether it's apples or feathers. Muscle is denser than fat so it takes more of it to fill up a space than fat.

Quoting BabyGsMommy11:

Muscle weighs way more than fat. Don't trust a chart (but I know nothing when it comes to this).

bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Hahaha!! Thanks :)

I was a stick figure growing up and so is my niece so I get that in comparison she is heavier than some...OK...most but put her on a diet? No way!

Quoting the4mutts:

Omg! That is one BUFF kid! Lmao

She is the most "in shape" child I have ever seen!

Ignore those moronic BMI charts, that kid looks kick-ass!
bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM
This is the first time anyone has mentioned it. Usually they just tell me the percentages.

Quoting Autumn19:

hmm my ds is 50lbs and is really short my dr doesnt even mention those charts.
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:30 AM
My 5 year old just had her check up. 42" (or 44") and 51 pounds. Doctor wasn't worried at all.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN