Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

DD's doc says she's fat!! **pic** EDITED

Posted by   + Show Post

Well, not in so many words...she had her 6 yr well visit yesterday. Her height was 47" and weight is 50lbs. The nurse practitioner looks up her bmi and says it's 16 and that it's "a bit high for her age" then continues on about watching her caloric intake to lower her weight. Wait...WHAT??!!

She's a gymnast-works out 3x's a week and spends the rest of her free time on her trampoline, skating, bike riding or practicing her routines. She is already a health nut and only has occasional treats. Besides all that...SHE'S NOT FAT!!!

UGH...sorry, had to vent! lol I don't have blinders on, right?? My kid doesn't look overweight, does she?

ETA: I just looked at web MD's bmi calculator for kids (I know, we MD isn't the best but I wanted an idea) and it says healthy range is 5-85...that's a big span! And she's 15.9, how is that high?? Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Replies (411-418):
Miller0305
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Ok, keep telling yourself that.  I can guarantee the fat in your ass weighs more than the muscle in your wrist.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Oh it is obvious that someone doesn't know the difference between weight and volume. That someone would be you.

Quoting Miller0305:

Sigh... never mind, I give up. Some of you obviously don't know the difference between weight and volume.  Google, does muscle weigh more than fat, maybe you'll get it then.

Quoting Lauriemom:

But, five lbs of muscle would take up less space than five lbs of fat.  I am so surprised thatyou don't get what people mean

Muscle does weigh more than fat...

Quoting Miller0305:

Duh, nothing.  It makes absolutly no sense to say that muscle weighs more than fat.  If I have 5 pounds of muscle in one hand and 10 pounds of fat in another the fat weighs more than the muscle.  Muscle is more dense than fat, it has nothing to do with weight.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

The same volume of muscle weights more than the same volume of fat...DUH 

She did not say a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat.

Quoting Miller0305:

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat... a pound is a pound whether it's apples or feathers. Muscle is denser than fat so it takes more of it to fill up a space than fat.

Quoting BabyGsMommy11:

Muscle weighs way more than fat. Don't trust a chart (but I know nothing when it comes to this).

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM

omg..soooo not fat!!

tmmom2
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:17 PM

not fat at all that is ridiculous!

ThinkAgainMom
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:26 PM

One more thought.  This has always made me laugh when I have thought about it with my kids.  I did the calculation on your daughter's weight and height.  She is 1.06 pounds for every inch she is tall.

How much would YOU weigh if you were 1.06 pounds for every inch you have and how FREAKIN' SKINNY would that be????? 

Annettey19
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I think she looks perfect for her age. I get there's an obesity crisis, but I think doctor's are taking it way too far if they say your little girl needs to watch her caloric intake...

KristenFowles
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM

No, she's not fat.  My 5 year old is 47 inches and not quite 40lbs.. but she's a little wafty thing.. My 15 month old was only 2lbs less than her...

I'd be looking into different pediatricians.....

bebe_ju-rah
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:38 PM
68 lbs! lol

Quoting ThinkAgainMom:

One more thought.  This has always made me laugh when I have thought about it with my kids.  I did the calculation on your daughter's weight and height.  She is 1.06 pounds for every inch she is tall.

How much would YOU weigh if you were 1.06 pounds for every inch you have and how FREAKIN' SKINNY would that be????? 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashley9603
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I dont think they take into account that she is an athlete and that would make her bmi an unfair assesment.She probably has more muscle than kids her age that are not athletes.She looks fit and healthy to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)