Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Skipping 1st grade

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 32 Replies

I just got home from dropping DS off at school (kindergarten).  His normally busy teacher pulled me aside and said she needed to talk to me.  

She said that she just tested him again and his reading level has again shot up to a level I/J which is at 2nd grade level.  Already he is on 1st grade curriculum in the class and this work is boring for him.  He was tested before kinder and was 97th percentile.  He also is doing complex math and so fourth, spelling, etc.  He is a little sponge and just soaks things up.  

In a few months they think he will be moving on to 2nd grade work.  The school district doesn't offer a gifted program until 3rd grade and I can't afford to send him to private school. 

They rarely skip grades as well in this district but everyone thinks that we are gonna have to.  I have some concerns with this:

He is already one of the youngest in his class turning 5 one month before kinder started.  He is the smallest kid in the class.  I think that he is learning valuable things so I'm afraid that by skipping him he will be not only the smallest kid in the class but also the youngest by far and miss out on social aspects that he hasn't yet developed.  For instance he has an issue of finishing up projects and getting bored and chatting and distracting other kids.  I also want him to be a kid while he is a kid, KWIM?  

So, what do you think?  We do all we can at home which is a lot of supplementing.  The teacher is doing all she can.  Is it wise to skip a child?  Will they have issues later in life not being socially ready?  

You know you want it

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I wouldnt skip him since he isnt emotionally mature enough yet.  Have they had him sit in on a first grade class yet to see how he does as a trial period?

.betty.white.
by bilf on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Yes, he is in a mix class which is about 10 kinders and the rest 1st grade.  The difference between him and the 1st graders is he goes home at 1 and they stay until 3.  So he is in one every day.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I wouldnt skip him since he isnt emotionally mature enough yet.  Have they had him sit in on a first grade class yet to see how he does as a trial period?

You know you want it

tansyflower
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:57 AM

idk my sister is a teacher and she said IF they skip its kinder, not first grade.  even then they dont like doing it because their teaching model tries to reach a far range of ability. 

bump for someone with more experience!

.betty.white.
by bilf on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:57 AM

In fact, he is reading and doing everything at a more advanced level than the 1st graders in the class.  

Quoting frndlyfn:

You know you want it

.betty.white.
by bilf on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I know!  I feel like everything has stages, you know?  And it will be hard to skip him and just plop him in with far more advanced kids...  Kids who will be 1-2 years older.  

Quoting tansyflower:

idk my sister is a teacher and she said IF they skip its kinder, not first grade.  even then they dont like doing it because their teaching model tries to reach a far range of ability. 

bump for someone with more experience!

You know you want it

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't skip him. When I was little you could start kindergarten at age 4. I was 9 in 5th grade it was not easy being the smallest. My grandma kept me back in 5 the grade because I was no where near ready for middle school if he's that advanced I'm sure you and his teachers can work something out.

Good luck.
.betty.white.
by bilf on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM

So and example of him just soaking strange things up and I'm sure they read a book or something at school, but, the other day he is like, "Mom, George Washington is my favorite president.  He is on the quarter AND the dollar AND I'm pretty sure he was super nice too!" then I'm like, WHAT?  I looked it up because it shocked me and I wasn't actually sure who was on the currency lol.  Then he listed off EVERY president on each coin and bill.  It was this insane moment where I was googling to check.  Yes, as an adult I SHOULD know this but to be honest I don't really think about it.

SpnFulOfSugar
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM
This was brought up to us when our oldest went from kinder to first. We decided for social reasons not to skip him. Like your son he was one of the youngest in the class and had just started opening up socially. Luckily our district starts gifted in 1st grade and his teacher has been very helpful shaping the curriculum to his needs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.betty.white.
by bilf on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:02 PM

So, they don't do that here, but do you think that the school would accommodate us by pairing us with a 2nd grade teacher while in 1st grade to get different core work for him as needed?  I feel like his teacher is always so busy so I never get a chance to nail her down and talk....  Maybe that is an option? 

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

This was brought up to us when our oldest went from kinder to first. We decided for social reasons not to skip him. Like your son he was one of the youngest in the class and had just started opening up socially. Luckily our district starts gifted in 1st grade and his teacher has been very helpful shaping the curriculum to his needs.

You know you want it

balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM

It's a very difficult decision. Honestly, I would not skip him. It's the emotional and size aspect of it. It is very difficult for boys in general, nevermind super bright ones who are small and young. If you can, maybe you can get him some tutoring or a special interest program to help him to grow and develop. Private school might not be the answer, even if you could afford it, although many do have scholarships (ours does.)

My DD is 13 and in the 8th grade, most of her friends are already 14 or turning 14 shortly. She won't be 14 until Oct. Academically she is up there with some of the brighter kids in the grade (small school only 19 kids in her grade!) But it is very difficult for her. She's not particularly immature emotionally, and above board physically, but especially early on there was a difference. She's moving to a public high school and it is a concern for us. Had she been a boy we would have definitely waited the year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN