Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I think what she shows her children is VERY innapropriate, should I say something or mmob?

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:30 PM
  • 47 Replies

Should I say something or mind my own business?

My good friend has a 4 and 5 year old son. I was sitting with her at her home and she puts youtube on for her kids to watch. She is Guatemalan, and puts on this singer called La Delfy, who is gay, a cross-dresser and has very explicit dance scenes and ladies half dressed dry humping men in their vids...i know that stuff is on tv a lot, theyll see it one day, but she showed them this video called "cocoro dance remix lol" and it has guys humping eachother in it. Then one song kept talking about sex, how to f***, and the main chorus is "sexo sexo sexo sexo". She shows all these videos extremely sex related, only talking about sex, with strippers dancing and like I said dry humping men, smoking, drinking...their children sit and watch these videos, they know the words and sing it..

Maybe Im over reacting, but I think 4 and 5...actually Id never expose my child or one day children to that. Should I politely say thats a bit innapropriate for children to be watching???

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZakkarysMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:32 PM
3 moms liked this
YES. That is very inappropriate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elkmomma
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I'd ask her why she allows them to watch that.

NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM
6 moms liked this
If i had a friend that parented in a way that i didn't like I'd probably stop being their friend rather than tell them how to parent.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2BeAmy
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM

That sounds like a better way to go about it, lol. thx

Quoting elkmomma:

I'd ask her why she allows them to watch that.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I would ask her ?s about why she likes these particular videos and allows the children to watch them.  I am sure there are more child friendly videos in her native language.

TheMrs407
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I would say something. Maybe not directly, but in a round about "Oh wow, that's a bit much." Kind of way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2BeAmy

I like that approach, thank you

Quoting TheMrs407:

I would say something. Maybe not directly, but in a round about "Oh wow, that's a bit much." Kind of way.

noahscott
2 moms liked this

I don't know.. different cultures aren't so "worried" about sex. My husbands aunt is from europe and when they go to visit, they go to nude beaches and she lets her kids in the ocean naked. It's not an issue for them like it is here i guess.. not saying anything about your friends culture.. i know nothing about it but maybe its ok for them.

seqra2
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Ok as much as I don't agree with what she is doing either try to remember that our culture make sex taboo. Anything sexual in the USA is genrally consider taboo whereas other cultures see it differenly. 

I dealt with this a little bit with my husbands family. They are very touching people. They don't understand the 3 feet of space rule. They are from Itlay like right off the boat. When you meet them it's not just a hello it a kiss. They don't see a big deal with nakedness up to a point. 

I know that is not entirely the same however every situation is different. You should do what you feel is best. If your close friends she won't mind and will respect your opinion. Or at least should.

Mommy2BeAmy
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the comment but I couldnt control my laughter with the USA considers sex taboo. In the malls, billboards, television, internet, wherever you turn there are women in their lingerie, sex on tv, sex talk, Condom and personal lubricant out in all stores, advertisements, and  all the movies all about sex, people kissing and grabbing eachother in public. Sex is far from taboo here, its welcomed with opened arms in my opinion.

In my culture, and many other cultures from areas around where I come from, you dont even hug the opposite sex if he is not your immediate relative or husband. I totally understand what you are saying about cultures, but I think there is a fine line between cultures and parenting. I see a lot in the hispanic culture the women dress very skimpy clothing, lots of kissing, hugging, while that may all be fine, dandy and normal, when it goes into sex and humping infront of your kids I dont link that to any culture. 

I take these cultural comments like its saying its okay depending on what culture you are to expose sex to children.

Quoting seqra2:

Ok as much as I don't agree with what she is doing either try to remember that our culture make sex taboo. Anything sexual in the USA is genrally consider taboo whereas other cultures see it differenly. 

I dealt with this a little bit with my husbands family. They are very touching people. They don't understand the 3 feet of space rule. They are from Itlay like right off the boat. When you meet them it's not just a hello it a kiss. They don't see a big deal with nakedness up to a point. 

I know that is not entirely the same however every situation is different. You should do what you feel is best. If your close friends she won't mind and will respect your opinion. Or at least should.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)