Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Don't Shoot Me But...

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:57 PM
  • 29 Replies
6 moms liked this

All of this talk about the Second Amendment lately really got me thinking. Many people are worried about how dangerous guns are and that in the wrong hands they can be quite dangerous.

Consider this:       Most Americans have a vehicle or at least have access to one. We drive them to work, to the store and even to school. And yet a vehicle can be just as dangerous if not more so than a loaded gun. Driving a vehicle is like driving a huge bullet and you can aim it at anyone or anything you want and destroy it if you want to. The key to driving is education. You have to learn how to drive and get a permit and then a drivers license in order to be able to drive. Rather than taking guns away, educate children and others about them.

Don’t take away our right to bear arms just because they could be used in a wrongful manner. If someone wants to hurt or kill someone, they will do it no matter what “weapons” they have access to.

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:10 AM
3 moms liked this
There is a difference...a car CAN be dangerous but it was created for transportation. Guns were created to kill in all circumstances.

I'm disagreeing with your analogy, not your right to responsibly own a gun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WillVon
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:13 AM
4 moms liked this
Watch Final Destination. Everything can kill you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexanMomOf6
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:24 AM
7 moms liked this

We need guns in order to keep the government from declaring martial law. The  Founding Fathers wanted guns in the hands of the people so if the people decided that the government was out of control the people had the power to take it back.  Hitler took weapons from the citizens. It didn't work out so well for lots of innocent people.

If someone was breaking into my home, I would much rather have a gun in my hand than 911 on the line.....

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Not to turn this into a debate (and please don't take it seriously because I don't and can't own guns) but in my honest opinion, the American government is out of control and I'm currently for a revolt. Should we load up and storm Washington, guns blazing?
I vote maybe.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

We need guns in order to keep the government from declaring martial law. The  Founding Fathers wanted guns in the hands of the people so if the people decided that the government was out of control the people had the power to take it back.  Hitler took weapons from the citizens. It didn't work out so well for lots of innocent people.

If someone was breaking into my home, I would much rather have a gun in my hand than 911 on the line.....

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Personally, I think people are tracking and regulation the wrong end of the equation. Keeping a number on the gun is fine but you don't have the gun left at a murder scene, it's useless information.
If it were harder to get ammunition, or if bullets were marked with a serial number and required identification & tracking, a lot less deaths would go unsolved and a lot less mass shootings would happen, I'm sure.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jennie2263
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:27 AM

So I am just going to post some information here and you guys can take a look at it if you want too. I agree with keeping our second ammendment. I fully believe every American that wants too should be allowed to legally own a firearm but I also believe they should go through training to understand and use them safely. Honestly, if gun laws worked, Chicago would be the safest place (instead of the most dangerous) in our country because they have the strictest gun laws. Here are some statistics, they are from 2010 but that is the most recent I could find with very little research.

In 2010 there was a total of 31,076 deaths caused by guns.

Of that total, only 11,078 were homicides.

19,392 were from suicide.

606 were unintentional (accidental misfire).

Vehicle accidents were ranked first in line for the number of deaths nationally and poison was ranked second. Guns came in third.

The death toll of people being bludgened to death with a hammer, bat, or blunt objects is also on the rise (growing faster than gun violence might I add) but I do not see them saying that a contractor needs a liscense to carry a hammer.

trainlady
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I just read an article on WND that said the Second Amendment is only for men. That women should not have access to guns or own them because they were not capable of handling them. If this is so why are women in the police department and the military and many other places where they use guns? I have never read anything so stupid in my life. And you are right about education in handling of guns and cars. But this goes for men and women. Who ever wrote that article is living two centuries back.

specialwingz
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

clapping

Quoting MandaJo111:

All of this talk about the Second Amendment lately really got me thinking. Many people are worried about how dangerous guns are and that in the wrong hands they can be quite dangerous.

Consider this:       Most Americans have a vehicle or at least have access to one. We drive them to work, to the store and even to school. And yet a vehicle can be just as dangerous if not more so than a loaded gun. Driving a vehicle is like driving a huge bullet and you can aim it at anyone or anything you want and destroy it if you want to. The key to driving is education. You have to learn how to drive and get a permit and then a drivers license in order to be able to drive. Rather than taking guns away, educate children and others about them.

Don’t take away our right to bear arms just because they could be used in a wrongful manner. If someone wants to hurt or kill someone, they will do it no matter what “weapons” they have access to.

MandaJo111
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Oh wow.  How backwards is that? 

They better never try to make that happen!

Quoting trainlady:

I just read an article on WND that said the Second Amendment is only for men. That women should not have access to guns or own them because they were not capable of handling them. If this is so why are women in the police department and the military and many other places where they use guns? I have never read anything so stupid in my life. And you are right about education in handling of guns and cars. But this goes for men and women. Who ever wrote that article is living two centuries back.

MandaJo111
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Here in Tennessee they keep a count up of the number of people who died in vehicle accidents.  It is scary to watch it and see just how many people die each day in wrecks.  You hear about a few of them but not all of them. 

Quoting jennie2263:

So I am just going to post some information here and you guys can take a look at it if you want too. I agree with keeping our second ammendment. I fully believe every American that wants too should be allowed to legally own a firearm but I also believe they should go through training to understand and use them safely. Honestly, if gun laws worked, Chicago would be the safest place (instead of the most dangerous) in our country because they have the strictest gun laws. Here are some statistics, they are from 2010 but that is the most recent I could find with very little research.

In 2010 there was a total of 31,076 deaths caused by guns.

Of that total, only 11,078 were homicides.

19,392 were from suicide.

606 were unintentional (accidental misfire).

Vehicle accidents were ranked first in line for the number of deaths nationally and poison was ranked second. Guns came in third.

The death toll of people being bludgened to death with a hammer, bat, or blunt objects is also on the rise (growing faster than gun violence might I add) but I do not see them saying that a contractor needs a liscense to carry a hammer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)