Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

This may seem like a dumb question...but never dealt with it before...

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:47 PM
  • 11 Replies
My son started coughing tonight, well he just went to bed and it seems worse, and is very deep..almost bronchitis like.

We have a humidifier, but my sons never sick, so I think the last time I used it was around 2 years ago.
I pulled it down from closet an went to put water in it..and what looks like the filter (maybe??) has some mold.
I'm sure he can't be breathing that in.
Can that be cleaned? If so, how? Or should I buy a new filter or whole humidifier?
I can add a pic if needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babybutastink
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I have two humidifyers and the last time my ds was sick like that I pulled the one down and it had the same issue.  There was a filter which had mold all over it.  Sooooo I didnt use that one....as matter of fact bc I can honestly say I have NEVER seen the filters sold in stores I got rid of the whole unit.  We used the one vicks puts out that you can put the liquid vapor stuff in....it seemed to help him.  I would not trust that filter.....

aj23
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:32 PM

A new humidifier would be ideal, second best would be new filter but if absolutely necessary bleach will kill mold so you could use it but I really wouldn't trust it to kill it all.

Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Ok..thanks guys!
I do have a Vicks vaporizer. His dr said to use humidifier, but I just looked on google and they pretty much both do the same thing. So I'll use vaporizer! =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Also put Vicks on the soles of his feet and then put socks on. It actually helps me 90% of the time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:42 PM
For a cough? Ok, I'll try it! Thanks!

Quoting baquick:

Also put Vicks on the soles of his feet and then put socks on. It actually helps me 90% of the time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:46 PM
It's so weird. It works. I did it to ds when he pneumonia at 7 months. It helped soooooo much! And naturally I forget every time I'm sick until I'm almost well. Lol

http://www.snopes.com/medical/homecure/vaporub.asp

Quoting Y2kmomma:

Quoting baquick:

JessicaRee
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:58 PM
It really does work!

Quoting Y2kmomma:

Quoting baquick:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Awesome! I put some on his feet..he's asleep now and hasn't coughed much since he fell asleep.

I knew for stuffy nose, didnt know for cough! Thanks again! =)

Quoting baquick:

It's so weird. It works. I did it to ds when he pneumonia at 7 months. It helped soooooo much! And naturally I forget every time I'm sick until I'm almost well. Lol

Quoting Y2kmomma:

Quoting baquick:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Excellent! Hope he Gets better soon!

Quoting Y2kmomma:

Awesome! I put some on his feet..he's asleep now and hasn't coughed much since he fell asleep.

I knew for stuffy nose, didnt know for cough! Thanks again! =)

Quoting baquick:

Quoting Y2kmomma:

Quoting baquick:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN