Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Sudden food allergy development in young child.

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM
  • 9 Replies

Have you all ever heard of a toddler (3 1/2) suddenly developing an allergy to milk? Over the past week now whenever I give my son milk he throws it up at night and has really bad, watery diarrhea . At first, I initially thought he had a tummy bug, or the milk I bought was spoiled, then after buying fresh milk and checking the dates I noticed they were still good. When he throws up,it looks like thick, cream colored cottage cheese, never any others foods in it. It smells unlike any thing he has thrown up in the past, very strong.The days I didn't give him milk this past week he slept great, never threw up. I have given him pediasure and he does fine. If he has developed an allergy to milk it has been out of the blue, up until last Monday he never had problems with milk, he LOVES milk. I have an appointment with his DR set up for tomorrow to get him checked, but just curious now to see if I may be right. Any advice ladies would be great, have any of you had to deal with this?

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
eema.gray
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Allergies can develop suddenly at any age.  There's a pretty strong chance your doctor will recommend that you eliminate all milk and milk derivities (read labels closely!) for 3 to 4  weeks and then reintroduce milk and make note of symptoms.

DallasCowboys81
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Yes allergies can develop at any given time .. My 9 yr old daughter was about 6 when we discovered she was allergic to avacodos. She has had them several times in the past, just all of a sudden broke out in hives, throat clogged up and she had to be rushed to the ER. So now, she can not have anything that has any hint of avacodo in it. It sucks ... Note your sysmptoms and make sure to the the doctor, see what they recomend.

Arwyn724
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:03 PM

It sounds more  like being lactose intolerant.  Very different from food allergy.

Arwyn 724 

jenny198356
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Use Lactaid, or Almond milk in place of regular milk and see if that fixes it. Doctors told me the only way to fully test for milk allergy would be way worse than just eliminating it from my dd's diet. I have one kid that is good with cow milk, my other is on Lactaid and every now and again Soy/ Almond.

2.b.con.10.Ud
by Tigress on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Yes, it can happen.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cowboygal
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM
My dd is lactose intolerant. She developed it about two years ago and she is 7 right now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:20 AM

food allergies can happen at any age. My 39 year old Dh just became allergic to shellfish.

MamaFLgurl
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Went to the DR, she said it could be a bug or he could have developed lactose intolerance. Two weeks no milk, then slowly introduce it to him again and if he throws up then we know the answer. If he is still throwing up with no milk intake to bring him back in a week.

Last night I didn't give him any milk and he slept all night, no throwing up or diarrhea.

lmjess
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM

My 3.5 yr old is allergic to milk. We use almond milk. We stopped all co's milk last fall because of vomitting/choking issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)