Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

You have $100....

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:15 PM
  • 43 Replies

You have $100 to go grocery food shopping for a family of 4 for a week. 2 children, 2 adults. You have to buy it all at the regular grocery store (no farmers market, Aldis, or Walmart). What do you buy and what would your meals for the week look like? 

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pookie4907
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM
It wouldn't be any different than it is now. I feed my family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) with $100 a week by choice. Ad I make things like shrimp tacos, gumbo, ribs, pork chops, chicken salad, etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM
2 moms liked this

I would buy our usual, milk, eggs, bread, dry beans, frozen veggies, potatoes, pasta, whole tomatoes in cans, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, yogurt, fruit, brown rice

we would have cheddar pasta for dinner one night and kids would take it cold for lunch the next day, (they love it like that)

I would make a huge crock pot of pintos and make bean burritos and tacos, spinach and bean enchiladas and make a spread for sandwiches for lunch

the kids would eat yogurt and fruit for breakfast, scrambled eggs and egg salad for lunch

we are vegetarian so it isnt hard for us to spend $100 or less on a weeks worth of food for 5

romanceparty4u
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

that's a lot of money for 4 for a week

a week?

pound of spaghetti 2 bucks

chili beans 2 cans--mebbe three 3 bucks

4 large cans diced tomatoes 5 bucks

onions 2 bucks

garlic 1 buck

two pounds hamburger 6 bucks

rolled rump roast 10 bucks

stew meat 6 bucks

carrots 1 buck

Bag of potatoes 5 bucks

3 bread, 3 bucks (cheap store brand)

5 boxes cereal 20 bucks (I highballed it)

2 gallons milk 6 bucks

carton of eggs 2 bucks

lunch meat 10 bucks

We are at 82 now.

baby carrots one bag, a buck

Bag of apples 6 bucks

bunch of bananas 6 bucks

juice 5 bucks

2 cans tuna 2 bucks

2 box tuna helper, 3 bucks

breakfast cereals for breakfast

a roast one night

chili another night.

Spaghetti one night

stew one night

tuna helper one night

Eggs with toast one night

sandwiches for a night

And the sandwiches could be for lunch with a fruit or baby carrots.

This is just a few bucks over 100, as I highballed some of the prices. If your groceries are more than this, you might have to take out some of the higher priced items and replace with spaghetti or eggs.

sue5109
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Dinners: spaghetti
. tuna helper with veggies
. grilled cheese with chili or vegetable soup
. I can't think of anymore dinners right now lol
breakfast: cereal
. oatmeal
. fruit
snacks: sandwiches and chips
. mac and cheese
. hot dogs
. fruit..
goodness this makes me want to go grocery shopping lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
angie944
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Sandwiches!!! lol... Maybe some pasta dinners (hamburger helper)... Hot dogs, ect

romanceparty4u
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I will say that Aldi and Walmart "are" our regular grocery stores around here. We have 4 walmarts and 7 aldi.The prices I posted reflect our only other store in this area.

Blessedlife79
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I was wondering where you got your prices from LOL. I walk to go food shopping since my car is broke which is why I have to buy everything at the store down the street from us. It stinks :(

Quoting romanceparty4u:

I will say that Aldi and Walmart "are" our regular grocery stores around here. We have 4 walmarts and 7 aldi.The prices I posted reflect our only other store in this area.

romanceparty4u
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:40 PM

beleive me, this is the price at our higher end store. Aldi would be substantially less.

If you're buying food at a convenience store, or a high end store, I'd sure be calling for a ride on shopping day....

Quoting Blessedlife79:

I was wondering where you got your prices from LOL. I walk to go food shopping since my car is broke which is why I have to buy everything at the store down the street from us. It stinks :(

Quoting romanceparty4u:

Blessedlife79
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Wow well your lucky cause I can tell you prices aren't that cheap in most places. You can't even get that cheap at Walmart.

Quoting romanceparty4u:

beleive me, this is the price at our higher end store. Aldi would be substantially less.

If you're buying food at a convenience store, or a high end store, I'd sure be calling for a ride on shopping day....

Quoting Blessedlife79:

Quoting romanceparty4u:

brittanyjenean
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Spaghetti, Chili, Meatloaf, alfredo and broccoli pasta, tuna casserole, sheperd's pie, beef stew, homemade corndogs, homemade pizza, limas and ham with cornbread, red beans and rice, chicken noodle soup (homemade).

$100 is quite a bit for a week and you can buy and do a lot off of $100/week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)